Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Non Stopping '63 GT Hawk R1

The category of "Ignition" is correct.

I ran our '63 GT for a while this afternoon. When it was time to turn it off, it just kept on running. Not pre-ignition, just running normally. The different positions of the ignition switch had no effect. I turned off the engine by pulling the ignition wire out of the coil.

As a point of information, the car has a David Thibeault supplied electronic distributor kit built with Chrysler parts installed many years ago. Also, it has a Chrysler ignition switch that came with the car 20 years ago.

Any thoughts on where to start with this problem would be appreciated. Is this a typical failure mode for an ignition switch?

Perry

Last edited by fpstude; 08-15-2020, 11:00 PM.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Look for where the coil is getting power with switch off. most of us have a fine old time keeping our cars running LOL. Luck Doofus

Comment

'm not much help for you, but back in the '70's I had a '62 GT that did the same way once. Stupid me pulled the coil wire out of the distributor cap. The engine stopped but before it did, I had a huge gash in my head from banging it on the hood from the jolts I got from that wire!
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Doofus, thanks, a good place to start. Ron Dame, that is why I wore a glove when I removed the wire. You reinforced why. I'm off to remove the drivers seat so I can better get to some of the components.
        Perry
        \'50 Business Champion
        \'50 Starlight Champion
        \'60 Lark Convertible,
        \'63 GT R1,
        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Yeah, THAT Title threw me a curve for a bit too, No Problem with the Brakes!

Before condemning the Ign. Sw.

Try disconnecting the White with Green Wire from the "I" Terminal of the Solenoid.
          If the Solenoid is internally shorted from Batt. Power Terminal to "I" terminal, you will have constant Power to the Coil.

So you have a Dodge Van/Universal Ign. Sw. with the ugly Knurl Nut, instead of the correct Chrome Bezel in an R2 GT Hawk? ..

The way they usually fail is the ON (Run) position, looses power between "Clicks" and becomes sensitive to the exact "Spot" you turn it to after snapping it back from "Start" and will not run.

I have never heard of one failing to ON.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-16-2020, 03:13 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

StudeRich, it appears you are "right on". With the "I" wire disconnected I measure 12 volts at the at the "I" terminal. Also, with the battery disconnected, I measure almost no resistance between the battery terminal and the "I" terminal. As an educational check, I did the same measurement on our Lark. I measure no voltage at the "I" terminal.

A special thanks,

Perry
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Glad I could help, you really don't want to remove that Ignition switch only to find out you did not need to!
              This is a quite rare occurrence, but I have heard of it happening, a partially Failed to closed Solenoid.
              Not many would guess that.
              I would check the Dwell with a Multimeter, because it is very likely that this caused the Points to burn depending on how Long, and become pitted probably causing a High reading.

That would be almost like someone replacing a Coil just because it is not firing! Usually because they did not understand that the Points and Condensor are responsible for that.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 08-17-2020, 04:12 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
              X