Champ bed and tailgate removal tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Champ bed and tailgate removal tips

Probably better ways of doing what I did, but here are a couple suggestions for anyone removing stubborn tailgate mounting bolts, and rear bed bolts.

The tailgate mount bolts, have a screwdriver slot in them, and when trying to turn the wrench on the nut, the screwdriver wants to spin, as it's impossible to hold in place when threads are being stubborn. So I put the visegrips on the screwdriver, and then only had to apply pressure to the screwdriver, not try and keep it from spinning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailgate 2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1850098

Name:	Tailgate 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1850099

Then for the rear bed to frame bolts, I could not get a wrench to grab the head of the bolt, nor was there room for a socket and ratchet. So I welded a piece of flat bar to a 3/4" junk socket. I should have made the flat bar bit longer, but it locked up on the bed plate behind the bolt head.

Name:	Bed tool 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1850100

Name:	Bed tool 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1850101
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

I rarely even try fight rusted bolts these days. When possible, I use a nut splitter or angle grinder for removal.

Comment

A lot of screws on Studebakers look like Philips heads but are different.
      I forgot the name of these special bits but they work very well with an impact driver.
      I know the door hinge screws use these bits.

Comment

Pozi Drive comes to mind. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
        X