63 Hawk rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 63 Hawk rear end

Thanks for the help We have a 63 Hawk and it needs new rear brakes, drums and wheel cylinders. I recently read that using a newer rear end from a Ford would be a cost effective swap and even add discs. My question has anyone done this and what model Ford would fit and do you have to change the spring purchases and drive shaft. I have a 3 speed transmission and would look for a taller gear ratio also if possible. Thank you in advance JeRita

Welcome to the forum.

Are you actually thinking that replacing with a different brand would be cheaper than repairing what you already have? Are you an experienced hot rod builder and know how to fabricate? It's not a bolt-on job.

Lots of folks think redesign rather than repair, then they go off half cocked and cock the whole thing up.

If you do some research you will discover that Studebaker vendors make bolt-on disc brake replacements and that there are many rear axle ratios available for the Dana 44 in your Hawk.

Does the overdrive work? Generally an overdrive equipped GT Hawk with a 289 came with a 3.73 rear axle ratio. Some folks on the forum think 3.54 is better.

If the overdrive does not work, then fixing it will solve most of your concerns.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-08-2020, 05:26 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I recommend keeping the Studebaker rear end and if you want rear disc brakes install the disc brake kit. I find my front disc and rear drum brakes stop me just fine.
      1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
      1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
      1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
      1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Radio Roy Thank you I don't have overdrive its a 3 speed on the tree. I'm not sure what ratio I have now but it seems to rev pretty high at 60-65 JeRita

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Jerry!
          Looks like a VERY Nice looking GT Hawk.

The Standard Ratio for a '63 Hawk with Standard Trans. unless special ordered otherwise would be a 3.31 and should not Rev too high at all, unless it has a slipping Clutch.
          So it may have been changed or ordered for Trailer Towing or something.

Just take a quick look at the Tin Tag under a differential rear Cover Screw at about 7:00 and read the Ratio there.

Is it possible you are used to very quiet running Modern Cars with "High Miles Per Gallon Axle Ratios"?
          Or, there are exhaust leaks, no Tail Pipes or Loud Mufflers?

So it has NO Chrome "T" Handle under the dash on the Left of the Wheel marked O.D. ?
          A 3 Speed Manual Trans. could be ordered With or Without the Automatic Electric O.D.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-08-2020, 06:48 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stude Rich Thank you I definitely do not have over drive I wish I did I will look under the car next time I have it up.

Comment

Just watch out when you look under there. On the late models without overdrive Studebaker used an undrilled overdrive housing as the transmission tail housing. Several folks on the forum have looked at their transmission and seeing the overdrive housing were confused about what they really had.

Roger List
              Roger W. List
              Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

It's hard to imagine someone ordering a new GT Hawk and specifying a three speed and no overdrive.

In any case, installing an overdrive would make a lot more sense than changing the rear axle ratio. The overdrive makes the car operate well in all situations. It really elevates the car to modern speed standards.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I got the build sheet from the museum and there is no mention of overdrive Is the overdrive electric and if I have the port on the transmission can it be installed if I find one? Thank you

Comment

Is there a cable on the left side lower part of the dash like my 62?

"Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

To install an overdrive, you replace the entire transmission and hook up a few cables.

What you are looking for is called a "long tail T-86" transmission with overdrive. It was used in V-8 cars from 1958 through 1964.

Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-10-2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Nice looking Hawk ! I recognize that Stude' dealership. Seems a waste of a classic building to me.

Comment

62 Lark I see you live on Long Island too! Are you a member of the LI region? We live in East Islip and the Cadillac Club is having a Cars and Coffee this Sunday 8/16 9-1 at Mary's Pizza in Islip Terrace All makes welcome. Hope you can make it. Speaking of the Riverhead dealership at least the saved the building and the signs.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                            It's hard to imagine someone ordering a new GT Hawk and specifying a three speed and no overdrive.

In any case, installing an overdrive would make a lot more sense than changing the rear axle ratio. The overdrive makes the car operate well in all situations. It really elevates the car to modern speed standards.
                            This Hawk is now on Long Island, a short distance east of New York City. If this car was originally sold and used in a city environment, overdrive would have been of little use (at least related to the approximately $110 extra charge). Also, the original owner may not have planned on keeping the new car long. In the 1960s, I kept new cars one year or less.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jerita View Post
                              /Cut/ Speaking of the Riverhead dealership at least the saved the building and the signs.
                              I don't know NY, but would that be one of the Helms Bros. Stores on Long Island?

My '62 Traanstar 7E13, 1 Ton Dually was sold New at one of their THREE Stores, the Bayside one at; 208-224 Northern Blvd. Bayside.
                              The Original Owner William Shenkel took it to Texas, then to Santa Barbara CA where I bought it and took it to L.A. Calif. area and finally here in the Pacific Northwest.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 08-14-2020, 02:59 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X