Antifreeze during storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Antifreeze during storage

So my Hawk sat in a guy’s yard in California for the last 30 years, so it probably never got real cold. When I got it in April, I looked in the radiator and it had ...something in it (I just checked it to see if it held fluid, not what that fluid was) So before it gets cold here, do I have to flush the mystery liquid out, and replace it with actual Antifreeze, or can I just drain it and leave it empty? I’m 99% sure I won’t have time to get it running before Halloween anyway... I’d like to dig all the crud out of the water jackets but I’m not sure I’ll have time for that, either...
    Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Getting the plugs out to drain them is difficult. The crud in the block can hold moisture and freeze anyway even if drained. You would still have to worry about heater core and other low spots not draining completely and freezing. Just putting antifreeze in it without running the engine and circulating it would leave pockets of water that could freeze. All this is assuming that there is no or little antifreeze in it now. It is going to need some attention to be sure it won’t freeze.

Comment

You do have to remember that in the "Day" and who knows how long after, people in most parts of Calif. like Southern, NEVER worried about Freezing and very often ran WATER and sometimes traces of Anti-Freeze or Soluble Oil, Water Pump Lube added, neither of which will prevent RUSTING as well!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Duplicate, Deleted. .. .. ....
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You have to assume all hoses and probably core plugs will need replaced. If it were me I would just drain it until it is ready to run.

Comment

Some of the older engine coolants would get silicate dropout when stored for long periods.
            It could be bad enough to clog radiators or coolant passages.
            Regular changing and flushing of engine coolant is a good maintenance item.
            Also, do not trust the newer engine coolants by color. The colors are more a marketing thing than a contents thing.
            Make sure you know what you are putting in. Some are not backwards compatible.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The hoses going towards the cabin are cut, so I don’t know how much (if any) coolant is in the heater core. I was planning on replacing all the hoses and the water pump for sure, and not being surprised if I have to replace The radiator as well.

So do I need to figure out a way to flush everything out without the car running, or will draining everything as best I can gonna be enough? I should get this figured out before it gets cold here...
              Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

I used an air hose with about 10 psi with all the hoses off. Stuff a rag and the blow gun into the upper openings to blow the coolant out of the block, radiator, heater core and defroster core. Make sure the heater and defroster controls are open. I was changing the anti-freeze and needed more room for refilling, got about another gallon out not counting the heater/defroster cores.-Jim

Comment

Working...
                X