Radio Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Radio Problem

My stock radio in my '53 needs help. The tuning knob won't change stations. Any suggestions?
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Most likely, the clutch has rubber facings that have hardened with age. The clutch must be disassembled and the rubber replaced with new rubber that has more friction. In addition, the corrosion, gummed up lubricant, and rust has to be removed from the entire tuning mechanism to reduce the drag.

It's not a fun job, not easy, and not always successful, as the right kind of rubber is hard to find.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-03-2020, 02:59 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      Most likely, the clutch has rubber facings that have hardened with age. The clutch must be disassembled and the rubber replaced with new rubber that has more friction. In addition, the corrosion, gummed up lubricant, and rust has to be removed from the entire tuning mechanism to reduce the drag.

It's not a fun job, not easy, and not always successful, as the right kind of rubber is hard to find.
      Thanks Roy
      Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
      jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Sorry the news was not better.

Bud can fix it for ya.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I had the radio out of my 62 GT and sent it to have it modernized. AM, FM, USB, Bluetooth, 4 channel stereo. Looks absolutely fabulous. Can't possibly tell it from new. What's not to like? It did cost a few extra bucks....... JT

Comment

Originally posted by airmanjwt View Post
            I had the radio out of my 62 GT and sent it to have it modernized. AM, FM, USB, Bluetooth, 4 channel stereo. Looks absolutely fabulous. Can't possibly tell it from new. What's not to like? It did cost a few extra bucks....... JT
            Who did you send it to if you don't mind sharing? Thanks.
            David Daoust
            Stratham, NH
            '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

Tayman Electrical 941-371-8924. Good guy to talk to.

Comment

I can do the necessary repairs to the radio to get it back into good working order. If I can help you, please send me a PM with your contact information. Bud

Comment

Working...
                X