Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Correct radio in 54 C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Correct radio in 54 C

Checking fitment of the newly restored dashboard and inst, cluster in the Commander. Installed the pushbutton radio and the speaker assy. hangs well below the bottom of the dash. The present radio I have is a #2686 that came in the car. My manual shows it should be a #2680. My window sticker shows a pushbutton with roll up ant. Question is are these radios close to the same? Is the 2686 just plain wrong for my 54? Anyone have a 2680? I did not think I'd see so much of the radio speaker hanging down. Any info greatly appreciated.
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

AC-2686 is for the late 55 sedans and wagons with wrap around windshields. It's just plain wrong for your coupe. The AC-2686 has a different mounting angle of the speaker chassis to the tuner chassis than the other radios. That usually means that the push buttons will jam on the bezel if the radio is installed in a coupe.

AC-2680 is for all 55 except sedans and wagons with wrap around windshields

AC 2300 is for 53-54 all models and body styles. The only difference between AC-2300 and AC-2680 is the color of the numbers on the dial (early = white, late = yellow) the presence or absence of Conelrad symbols on the dial, and the size of the flipper on the tone control.

The Conelrad symbols appeared in mid 1954, but I don't know if the dial numbers changed color from white to yellow at that same time or not.

About 1/3 of the speaker chassis hangs visibly below the dash board. It is designed that way and supposed to be that way. That's why the lower part of the radio is painted dark gray, to minimize its appearance.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-31-2020, 09:01 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      AC-2686 is for the late 55 sedans and wagons with wrap around windshields. It's just plain wrong for your coupe. The AC-2686 has a different mounting angle of the speaker chassis to the tuner chassis than the other radios. That usually means that the push buttons will jam on the bezel if the radio is installed in a coupe.

AC-2680 is for all 55 except sedans and wagons with wrap around windshields

AC 2300 is for 53-54 all models and body styles. The only difference between AC-2300 and AC-2680 is the color of the numbers on the dial (early = white, late = yellow) the presence or absence of Conelrad symbols on the dial, and the size of the flipper on the tone control.

The Conelrad symbols appeared in mid 1954, but I don't know if the dial numbers changed color from white to yellow at that same time or not.

About 1/3 of the speaker chassis hangs visibly below the dash board. It is designed that way and supposed to be that way. That's why the lower part of the radio is painted dark gray, to minimize its appearance.
      Roy, thank you very much ! I felt things were not right when I was fitting things together.
      1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

You are welcome.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-07-2020, 06:59 AM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Bryan,
          Check Dannyo's post under CARS FOR SALE.
          He shows a lot of parts, including the radio.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-cars-for-sale
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Roy
            I don't think that the younger generation knows what Conelrad symbols are.
            There were two marks on the radio dial that indicated the location of the emergency
            radio stations where you dialed to when the Russians started to throw "A" bombs and you had to go to the fallout shelter in your basement.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
              Roy
              There were two marks on the radio dial that indicated the location of the emergency
              radio stations where you dialed to when the Russians started to throw "A" bombs and you had to go to the fallout shelter in your basement.
              Run like hell to the Fallout shelter and duck and cover if you see a flash. Yup I remember. We still have Fallout shelter signs up in town.

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post

Run like hell to the Fallout shelter and duck and cover if you see a flash. Yup I remember.
                Jump under your desk and stay there for 2000 years.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

>you had to go to the fallout shelter in your basement.
                  Pic of the bathroom door in my garage: Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1849165

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                    Roy
                    They are lucky to not have lived through that. Of course, there is plenty of news hype to worry about these days, too.
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-02-2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

This AC 2300 fits my 54 Champion model W (four door sedan)

Comment

Working...
                      X