Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Changing turn signal telltale bulbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Changing turn signal telltale bulbs?

What is the best way to change the bulbs for the direction signal inside the dash of 64 hawk.
    Looks like its very tight to get your fingers in there to get at the bulbs.Also will LED bulbs be
    brighter.

On my '62GT I just reached in from under the dash and pulled the socket, it wasn't that bad. Yes, for me the LED's actually made them able to be seen during the day.
    sigpic

Comment

superbrightleds.com has replacements for the 1445 (old # 53) Incandescent Instrument light Bulbs, called a BA9s in LED for $3.95 each.

I have no idea HOW much of their incorrect data and crossovers you can trust, but they ARE out there.

THE ONLY Studebakers they recognize is a '63 or '64 Avanti, No 1958's No '60 Larks, No '63 Larks, NO '63 Hawks, they don't exist!

I guess Studebaker was a Very short lived little Co. only lasted TWO Years, and one Model!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1865&year=1964
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-31-2020, 10:44 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

They only list Avanti, because I've bought about five or six complete sets and told them what they were for. If you research what bulbs are in your car, and order the appropriate bulbs, you won't have any problems. If you're lazy, and depend on others to do your research, then you take your chances.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bez, I like most people that understand '50' & '60's U.S. Cars know full well that most of them used Original Bayonet Base #53 (small Glass) for Indicator Dash Lights and #57 (larger Glass) for Instrument lighting if 12 Volt, and #51 small Glass and #55 larger Glass if 6 Volt.
          Of course these are old Mazda numbers also used by GE and Sylvania & others that have been replaced with 4 Digit numbers that are often hard to cross over.

I am glad to hear that you got them to add Studebaker to their application listing, because I know it previously did not exist at all! The ONLY years that the Make "Studebaker" appears under is 1963 and 1964.

If they were Car smart people, they would simply go to O'Reilly's Auto Parts or NAPA Auto listings, and copy the Make, Year and Model of U.S. Cars and some popular Foreign ones that actually exist, since they have NO Clue.

So I was merely pointing out that the OP should not try to figure out the Website's lack of information and give up or get the wrong Part for a '64 Hawk that no LED info exists for.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            If they were Car smart people, they would simply go to O'Reilly's Auto Parts or NAPA Auto listings, and copy the Make, Year and Model of U.S. Cars and some popular Foreign ones that actually exist, since they have NO Clue.
            StudeRich. Its not as easy as you think to scrape a website to get their database info.

Comment

Working...
            X