Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Is the '65-'66 Studebaker 283" oil pan unique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Is the '65-'66 Studebaker 283" oil pan unique?

We've had discussions as to how the '65-'66 McKinnon 283" was identical to the US-built 283"s from Tonawanda.

A member has asked for help locating a Studebaker oil pan and says it's different than "Chevrolet". Over the past sixty-five years, there are several different Chevrolet oil pans, but who can confirm the Chevrolet 283" oil pan from the same era is the same as Studebaker?

If the Studebaker pan is different, what are the identifying features?

jack vines
    PackardV8

I believe it is a standard Chev/McKinnon pan.

Comment

Don't know about the oil pan, but I do know the air cleaner element is Studebaker only, as a standard Chevy 283 one won't fit in the casing/clear the hood.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Call SI directly. They may have one even if not in their catalog.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

On that thread I think the answer was found? A Poster said that the 1968 and newer small blocks changed to a different Front Seal and Pan.
          So if that is the case, currently found junkyard small Blocks would have the wrong Pan.

it "Probably" needs to be a 283/327 before that change.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Call SI directly. They may have one even if not in their catalog.
            SI sold their inventory of 1965-'66 GM engine parts a little over a year ago: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....s-gone-from-si

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              On that thread I think the answer was found? A Poster said that the 1968 and newer small blocks changed to a different Front Seal and Pan.
              So if that is the case, currently found junkyard small Blocks would have the wrong Pan.

it "Probably" needs to be a 283/327 before that change.
              https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...il-pan-seal%3F

Regardless of the year the actual change took place, here is the info on the two pan sizes. cheers, junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

perhaps photos from this thread can provide any clues?

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....eering-factory

cheers, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

As Jack alluded to in his initial post, SBC's had several variants of oil pans in that era. My guess is that Studebaker was much more comfortable in designing the engine mounts to accommodate an existing oil pan that to get involved in stamping a new design for their use.

Also a different oil pan would require McKinnon to adjust assembly line conditions whereas the motor mounts were entirely in Studebaker's hands so they could just receive engines as needed.

Junior's post looks like a very generic SBC oil pan from the time to my old eyes.

Bob

Comment

Is the owner sure that the engine he has is an original McKinnon? It could be that it is a 283 from another application. If that is the case then the concept of the "Studebaker" pan being different might be because the one they perceive to be a "Studebaker" oil pan might not be. I'll attach a few photos of my McKinnon pan if that helps.

FWIW, I put an 85 Corvette 350 in my 64 Daytona that already had a (real) McKinnon swap. The pan on the 350 seemed a bit more forward (about an inch) and I used "Le' Mallet'" to ensure that it would clear the tie rod ends. When it was all said and done it might have cleared anyway as installed I had a lot of clearance. The tie rod ends are the only thing I can think of that might be an issue and at least in my case a hammer solved the problem.
                    Attached Files
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

McKinnon Engines require an Adapter to convert from the Original Canister with a drop-in Element Oil Filter to the Spin-on you have.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Summit Racing should have something that fits.
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                        X