R-134 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: R-134 Question

Assume the ambient temperature in the street is 90 degrees. The temp emanating from the a/c vents is 50 degrees with the car cruising the highway at 60 MPH.

May I assume this is acceptable?

There's a fair amount of discussion about this issue on the Ram Truck forums. Your numbers are borderline as Ram says 45 deg at 80 deg and 55 deg at 90. Some of the so called a/c guys caution on using an IR thermometer and recommend a good standard type that has a probe to put in the vents.

If it cools adequately then not a big deal but if you think it feels borderline a good a/c shop should be able to check head pressures relatively inexpensively.

As a data point, my 19 Ram blows 42 - 45 deg. F and cools very well at 90+ deg and high humidity.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-30-2020, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
      There's a fair amount of discussion about this issue on the Ram Truck forums. Your numbers are borderline as Ram says 45 deg at 80 deg and 55 deg at 90. Some of the so called a/c guys caution on using an IR thermometer and recommend a good standard type that has a probe to put in the vents.

If it cools adequately then not a big deal but if you think it feels borderline a good a/c shop should be able to check head pressures relatively inexpensively.

As a data point, my 19 Ram blows 42 - 45 deg. F and cools very well at 90+ deg and high humidity.

Bob
      Bob the reading is from a temp probe put into the vent. The vehicle is another "old car" of mine...........'87 Merc grand marquis.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Bob the reading is from a temp probe put into the vent. The vehicle is another "old car" of mine...........'87 Merc grand marquis.
        Since this is a converted system, I believe that you are doing quite well with that cooling.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Since this is a converted system, I believe that you are doing quite well with that cooling.
          Thank you........I actually had it converted @ Jordan Ford in South Bend when I drove to the national meet.......the R12 crapped out half way across Pa;-(

Comment

Working...
          X