Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1963 Hawk still stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1963 Hawk still stalling

I've been dealing with this issue of so called "vapour lock" for so long now I'm almost ready to give up.

I've followed Dave Thibeault's instructions about removing the heat riser valve etc.

I installed his spacer gaskets.

I've installed a rebuilt distributor with electronic ignition and have insulated the gas line from filter to carb in engine compartment and am still my car is stalling.

I just started it up and let it idle and after 30 minutes it died.

Any more ideas out there?

What thermostat temperature are you running? Is your fuel pressure at recommended reading? Does your GT Hawk have the fuel recirculating line and is it clear?
    1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364

Comment

Sounds like a clogged fuel filter due to a a possibly contaminated fuel tank. Have you pulled and cleaned your fuel tank and replaced your fuel filter(s)? Happened to me several times!

Comment

What was the ambient temp when your GT was running? What was the engine temp gauge reading when it stalled?

Comment

When it stalls, check for gas in the carb. You should get a good squirt from the accelerator pump. Check for spark. Coils can fail when hot.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Do you have vented gas cap?

Comment

If it, "stalls" when the engine temp is anywhere below 210 degrees, it is almost certainly not vapor lock, but if 225 or higher, most likely vapor lock. If below 210, I'd suspect something else, i.e. coil, as has been mentioned.

Comment

The pink wire that feeds the coil might be acting up. You should try to hotwire (shortly!) the coil with 12V from the battery to see if there is any improvement.
                Nice day to all.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calntvs View Post
                  Sounds like a clogged fuel filter due to a a possibly contaminated fuel tank. Have you pulled and cleaned your fuel tank and replaced your fuel filter(s)? Happened to me several times!
                  What would the fuel tank be contaminated with? Yes, I have replaced fuel filter.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    What was the ambient temp when your GT was running? What was the engine temp gauge reading when it stalled?
                    It was probably 85 - 90 degrees. Temp gauge doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                      When it stalls, check for gas in the carb. You should get a good squirt from the accelerator pump. Check for spark. Coils can fail when hot.
                      I will try that. I just installed electronic ignition with a new coil meant for it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        If it, "stalls" when the engine temp is anywhere below 210 degrees, it is almost certainly not vapor lock, but if 225 or higher, most likely vapor lock. If below 210, I'd suspect something else, i.e. coil, as has been mentioned.
                        Don't know. gauge does not function.

Comment

Use an inexpensive Harbor Freight Lazar Temp Sensor and check the Thermostat Housing, Cyl. Head, Radiator Top vs Bottom etc.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Studerich; I have on too and it is amazingly accurate (you don't expect that from Harbor Freight) Could be coil heating up. I've never had a Studebaker that you could let idle for half an hour without pegging the temp gage. If you've done such a thing, it is really no wonder it quit either from vapor lock piston sieizing, ign failure, etc. These aren't modern cars; they will and do overheat. especially when it is 90 degrees! The air won't go thru the engine compartment unless the car is going down the road; it can get in, but it can't get out.

Comment

Working...
                            X