Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Voltage regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Voltage regulator

Trying to find a voltage regulator I have an autolite generator from a 1962 Lark in my 58 Hawk 6.My understanding is this is an “A” circuit generator.I am trying to avoid purchasing a Chinese knock off.Does anyone have a part number for the RIGHT regulator ? Has anyone any information where I can order a solid state regulator?And the part number.Thanks

Have you checked the Studebaker parts vendors? There are many of them and they specialize in... Studebaker parts.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

According to this chart, your generator # would be 1550551 (40 amp) or 1555236 (35 amp, more likely).
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Rv...ew?usp=sharing
      The regulator numbers are 1555238 and 1555237, respectively.
      Steven Allen has both of them: http://mystudebaker.com/electric/alt...ge-regulators/
      Nice day to all.
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you .Was considering solid state but may stay old school if not available
        ​​​​​​.

Comment

I am not aware of ANY Electronic Generator Regulators, it is probably not possible.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by scoutergord View Post
            Thank you .Was considering solid state but may stay old school if not available
            ​​​​​​.
            You're welcome. IMHO, you'd better go towards original equipment. I had ONE regulator failure in 35 years, so I consider these as fairly bulletproof and see no need for modern replacement. I'll stay with NOS parts as long as possible.
            Nice evening to all.
            sigpic

Comment

That's the thing; you've had it for 35 years! Today's regulators are just garbage. (Regardless of who sells them) They're made in some Asian hellhole or the better ones in Mexico. There is about a 75% chance your new one won't work out of the box or will fail within a month.

Comment

I have heard many complaints about Asian knockoffs. I am also having problems finding credible information.Everyone insists their regulator will fit my Studebaker and work with my Alternator/generator. I am also having trouble matching Canadian numbers.If I buy an incorrect regulator I risk not just the purchase price.An incorrect unit could burn out my generator or my harness.

Comment

OH! I did not know your car was a Canadian model. So, the numbers I gave you might be wrong. All the references are in the chart anyhow. I will send you this one on Monday, or you can go to Bob Johnstone's excellent site and browse through the Chassis Parts Catalog. Almost any Studebaker vendor should be able to fix you about this.
                  To Jeffry: the regulator failure occured 35 years ago, but not after 35 years of use. The car was 25 years old at the time. It was one of my first cars, a 1962 Simca P60 Montlhéry Spéciale I wish I still had. I never knew what caused the trouble. A unit from the junkyard fixed me for good. All my other cars still have their original regulators and never gave me any trouble. The oldest one is a 1951 model.
                  Nice evening to all.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X