No announcement yet.

Diff ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im curious as to how you are using the C4. this is the first i have noticed somebody wanting to use it on a Stude engine.
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Your experience is true to your experience. Also having owned both, that the Gen 1 Mustangs/Falcons weigh 2600-2800# versus the 3400# GT/Avanti, 25-30% lighter weight was why I felt the Fords feel faster.

Both 225hp 289" engine ratings are essentially identical:

Studebaker - 225hp @ 4500 and 305lbs/ft @ 3000

Ford - 225hp @ 4800 and 305lbs/ft @ 3200

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

IMHO a 3.54 makes an excellent rear gear if behind an OD transmission. It yields a 2.48 final drive ratio in OD when using a T86, and 2.55 with a T85. Just about perfect behind a 289 or 259.

Comment

Originally posted by 61 Stude. hawk View Post
          There are 2 reasons why a C4 trans is being considered
          1 . I have been trying to source Stude. trans and associated parts since April but have had no luck
          2 . My mechanic who specializes in engine transplants etc recommended using a C4
          I could be wrong because I don't know the Man, but I doubt he understands the Challenges he would be facing and the additional Costs.

The Machine Work Labor Cost alone could make it cheaper to get a correct fitting Trans. shipped from the U.S. or Australia.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X