Rear Ratio for 352/T85 od combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear Ratio for 352/T85 od combo

Hi guys I have a new project that I am gathering parts for to start building after my work season. After much research I want to install a narrowed 8.8 in my car. Its a 54 Commander Hardtop that I have a 352/T85od set up destined for it.

I would like to be on the sporty side of the scale and the rear can be found in many ratios. (4.10, 3.73, 3.55, 3.08) I have been punching a lot of numbers into ratio calculators without being able to just pick one. Thought I would pick your guys brains regarding your seat of the pants experience.

I am leaning towards 3.73s with 26"tires. That would provide the following
    With .7 OD it would deliver 2193 rpms at 65mph.
    1st gear max speed 35mph/4893 rpms and shiting speed 18mph/2516rpms

Curious what your guys experience have been.
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

With that combo. 3.73 sounds good to me, for an every day driver. If you are going to race it a little, I would go with a 5 speed.

Comment

Factory ratio for an Overdrive equipped Golden Hawk was 3.92:1
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        Factory ratio for an Overdrive equipped Golden Hawk was 3.92:1
        True and for all-around use, the 3.92 is still a good choice. However, a well-built Packard V8 will pull the 3..73 with no problem. Few of us are hauling four adults and a trunk full of luggage in these cars, but it could happen.

Whichever you choose, Twin Traction equivalent, heavy duty rear shocks, rear sway bar and traction bars will be needed.

Just asking, since the goal is max sportiness, why not step up to a 374" bored to 394"? We're just finishing up one which will be really strong.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Is the rear ratio of 3.92 the same for a 56 President Classic with the 289/T85 overdrive? Save me one less trip of crawling under the car. Feels good on take off.

Bob Miles

Comment

I have driven 56Js with OD and stock 3.92 and, with 205/75 tires, they move 70 MPH at 2500 RPM. They also take off in 2nd about as easy as they will in 2nd.I once had a restored 56J with a 4.27 rear end, and it was ridiculously low geared. One of the first things I did was swap in a 3.31.

I have had a 3.31 w/T85 in the blue & white 56J now for way over 160,000 miles. The 352 has no problem pulling a 3.31 under any conditions. But if in a big hurry, I am sure lower gears may help, with a 3.54 or 3.73 maybe best.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

True and for all-around use, the 3.92 is still a good choice. However, a well-built Packard V8 will pull the 3..73 with no problem. Few of us are hauling four adults and a trunk full of luggage in these cars, but it could happen.

Whichever you choose, Twin Traction equivalent, heavy duty rear shocks, rear sway bar and traction bars will be needed.

Just asking, since the goal is max sportiness, why not step up to a 374" bored to 394"? We're just finishing up one which will be really strong.

jack vines
              I have a 63 GT Hawk frame that has a TT in it. Im using that as a frame vs the thinner stock frame. Im also installing a k member or maybe an X member havent decided yet).

Ive done more research since my initial post and thinking about just getting a flange kit for saftey, but like the 8.8 for disc brakes. I know discs can be installed on the Dana but the 8.8s can be picked up for cheap with discs brakes, lsd, and 31 spline axles. Narrow them for some extra tire width and you have a potent combo.

I spoke with you in the past cause I had a line on a 374 but already owned the 352. I cant exactly remember what you said but I decided to rebuild the 352. I havent touched it yet though.

Is the motor your talking about for sale? Would be interested in hearing the price via PM if so.
              Last edited by what huh; 07-27-2020, 07:35 AM.
              Charles

Comment

A 394" Packard such as described is $4500-$5,000, depending upon the details of the build.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Nice I was guess-ti-mating $4000. Ive started the conversation with my local shop. When I said its a packard v8 he got excited to work on something else. They seem like nice guys
                  Charles

Comment

Working...
                  X