Slot in the plenum chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Slot in the plenum chamber

Can any one tell us the use for the slot cut into the upper plenum on the right hand side. I have seen a rubber cover on some but what purpose does it serve??????????

If what you're calling "plenum" is actually the heater box, then you're missing the filter.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2606.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1847809

Comment

In later models it would be on the right side of the cowl. Click image for larger version

Name:	63 lark.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1847843
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Language barriers! I was sure you meant the slot in the 4 Brl. Intake Manifold Plenum !
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I had to google "plenum" & got pictures of modern intake manifolds... I still wonder, but I'm swedish.
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Rapps, part of the heater filter setup as shown in # 2, not used in Australia as far as I know. Cheers Harryhawk

Comment

I’m with Rich ....that’s what I was thinking
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Language barriers! I was sure you meant the slot in the 4 Brl. Intake Manifold Plenum !
                Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                I’m with Rich ....that’s what I was thinking
                Originally posted by Rapps View Post
                Can any one tell us the use for the slot cut into the upper plenum on the right hand side. I have seen a rubber cover on some but what purpose does it serve??????????
                I was, also thinking it was, the intake manifold plenum, he was referring to, but I've never noticed, any slot cut, into the upper right hand side, of one?

​​​​​​​Mark
                sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

It's in the UPPER Phenum!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ok I will try to put up a photo That is it above my power booster ( brake booster)
                    Post # 2 is close but our heater is not there . On his photo near the I D tag he '63 has a slot cut into that I have also noticed them on the US vehicles as well.
                    I notice some of the US cars have a rubber seal in that slot. I would hate to say it is like a letter box slot but????????????????
                    Thanks Harryhawk what else can you call that chamber to remove langusage barrier( air flow chamber to cabin from windscreen grille)??
                    Attached Files

Comment

If that slot is in the vicinity of your heater core, it IS the filter described in both #2 and #3 responses.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks That makes sense now in post #2 the filter is removed and I can see the rubber piece.
                        Our heater is inside the vehicle on the firewall in Aussie cars so I think I will weld this one up while I am doing the other repairs

Comment

That must be a filter for filtering out contaminates in your brake system 😉
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                            I had to google "plenum" & got pictures of modern intake manifolds... I still wonder, but I'm swedish.
                            From Dictionary.com : a space, usually above a ceiling or below a floor, that can serve as a receiving chamber for air that has been heated or cooled to be distributed to inhabited areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapps View Post
                              Thanks That makes sense now in post #2 the filter is removed and I can see the rubber piece.
                              Our heater is inside the vehicle on the firewall in Aussie cars so I think I will weld this one up while I am doing the other repairs
                              Your photo is similar to the one in post #3. The slot is definitely for the heater filter. Look in your 1959-1964 Body Parts Catalog page 4. Same illustration in SI Catalog page 199. Order a part # 1552094 filter and save yourself the trouble of welding.

The slot in post #2 is approx. 20cm X 1cm but yours may be different. Post #2 is Champ PU same as '60 Lark.
                              Last edited by rbisacca; 07-26-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X