Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear axle rebuild

Can't find my original post.
    67 Avanti II,RQA. Becoming difficult to find seals and bearing retainers for my axles.
    ​​​​​​ been through the Napa seals catalogue... Nada. Going to motion industrial and Granger today.

here is additional data and photos..
    11" brakes, no fins. Flanged axle. No Dana 44 mark, but I put 44 ring and pinion in in '73. Axle Endplay adjuster onnpassenger side. Retainer is Timken K107271. Outer seal od 2.35 id 1.45. inner seal od 2.28. Id 1.35".

Photos:

​​​​​​​HOW DO YO ADD THE DAMN PHOTOS?

Try our Studebaker vendors, they likely have plenty of everything you need.

Comment

This is becoming difficult been through the Napa seals catalogue... Nada. Going to motion industrial and Granger today.
      here is additional data and photos..
      11 brakes, no fins. Flanged axle. No Dana 44 mark, but I put 44 ring and pinion in in '73. Endplay adjuster on passenger side.
      Attached Files

Comment

I am hoping this is the original differential, so this is what came up with the information of a 67 Avant 2

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...SABEgJ1qPD_BwE

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...haft+seal,2336

Not sure if this helps. I think you can go to the Timken site and put in the dimensions and it will pull up the correct ones. Good luck.

Comment

OK, I give up. Can't find what I need. What other rearends will fit with the least AMT of hassle? I can weld.

Comment

Anything here help. My 74 used a rebuild and seal kit from a 72 Scout II.

Noodle around here and see if you can find what you need. But IAC, a decent 4X4 shop should be able to see what you have and find parts.

The link also includes some info on finding the exact model of 44. Axle diameter and spline count are usually of some importance.

https://www.drivetrain.com/parts-cat...rear-end-parts

Bob

Comment

Jeep used type 44 and 45 Dana axles for years, If you go by bearing no. rather than trying to find a listing for an obscure car, you may have better luck, Watch out for Chinese bearings--they don't last very long. (It is a simple 73 step process to put a picture on the computer. My computer nerd brother-in-law says everything on the computer has been made as simple as can be. Yeah, right.) I can find almost anything by Google-ing it. (almost)

Comment

OK, I need experts.
                the manual says the pinion gear should have +or- numbers to establish the shim pack. The old one has +1, good. The new one has just numbers??? Marked, not etched is 120 and 4.311 on it. How do I set my shims? New kit was from JEGS..

Comment

The 4X4 Shops that "set up" Dana rear axles would know how to deal with "Replacement" Ring and Pinion Sets.

Maybe if you called "Randy's Ring and Pinion", where most Shops get their Parts, they MIGHT tell you.

If you had Factory Parts, the Shop Manual would work.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the response

Comment

Working...
                    X