gauge post selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: gauge post selection

1962 Lark wagon V8. I am now reinstalling my dash using the 1963 Lark gauges. Will rewire for the Amp gauge and have run a mechanical line for the oil gauge. Two questions. I had all the wires marked but I can't find a marker for the turn signal indicator. The hole has three notches the same as the high beam but I only have one lamp socket that is configured to fit. It is two wire and I believe it is the hi-beam indicator. The only remaining lamp holder looks just like the back light sockets and has one wire. Can this be for either the turn signal or the hi-beam? My other question involves the fuel and temp gauges and possibly the Amp gauge. Is the wiring to these gauges post sensitive and how would I determine which post is sender and which is hot?

Thank you
    Warren

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04924.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1847048

Amp Gauges are not like Volt Meters, the Power has to be re-routed from the Main Power Feed wire from the Solenoid directly THROUGH the Ammeter and THEN to the Ignition Switch, not to the switch First as it is.

Basically the Main Harness behind the dash needs to be re-wired per the '64 Wiring Diagram.
    And the Generator or Alternator wiring needs to be re-configured also to go to the Ammeter.
    If your '62 has been changed to a Alternator that will need a New "trigger" Wire from the Ign. Terminal of the Ignition Switch to the Voltage Regulator.

You will need to get rid of the AMP and Oil Pressure "Idiot Light" Sockets and Bulbs that are confusing you and insulate or totally remove the wires.
    Yes it matters which side of the Ammeter gets all the Power In and which gets all the Load out, also the Fuel and Temp. Gauges Sender wire vs Ignition Switch Power wire.

It is pretty clear to me that you need to STOP before connecting the Battery and do some Automotive Electrical Research first.
    I believe Randy Riddle at: "Then and Now Garage.com" has some excellent help.

UPDATE: I really did not want to tell you which terminals I "remember" go where without actually LOOKING at the back of one of my '63 or '64 Lark Dashes to be sure, but they are not easily accessible.
    However I "think" I remember the Senders are the Top terminal and the Power are the Lower ones. The Ammeter is the Drivers side IN and Passenger Side OUT.

I think if you look very closely some at least, have "Batt." stamped into the insulator card on the back of the Gauges. Please verify that.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-20-2020, 11:25 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Rich, the idiot lights are gone, the Amp gauge is rewired with 10 gauge wire, and the oil line is run. I finally figured out the hi-beam and turn signal indicators and all the instrument lights are in place. No battery is present until everything is double checked and I am confident each wire is terminated and placed properly. I have tried searching for images of the back of the dash or any write-ups on locating the correct post to no avail. There are no stampings or marking on the rear of the instuments. I am going with your update as it is the only logical evidence I have to date. I will also check out Randy.

Warren

Comment

I have still not determined which post goes to the battery. I did a little test with a 9V battery and depending which terminal I connected to the leads to the gauge I either got the needle to charge or discharge. Excuse my ignorance but if I connect the positive to a ammeter post and the gauge shows a discharge, then is this the post that should go to the battery? I really do not want to fry the gauge and there are no markings.
        Warren

Comment

I don't think you ever said if you have the Stock Generator or you changed it to an Alternator?
          StudeRich

Comment

Wuga, with 63 gauge pod in hand Ign terminals are toward center of pod. sender terminals are toward outer rim, temp wire orange, fuel sender wire red. anybody with a spare speedo please PM me, Thanks Doofus

Comment

I am running a 65A 1 wire alternator. Everything I have read says an ammeter should handle the load, especially the load created in the Lark. I have wired 10 gauge from the battery and from the alternator. I would gladly change to a Voltmeter if there was one that fit in the Lark's gauge cluster, As for the terminals, the AMP gauge is located at the 6 o'clock position in the cluster with two terminals, one to the driver and the other to the passenger. If anyone knows, where does the driver terminal go, to the battery or the alternator? I have a spare 63 speedo (green) and the cluster set of gauges and speedo (white) that I removed. If anyone can use them, they are yours.
              Warren

Comment

Originally posted by wuga View Post
                I am running a 65A 1 wire alternator. Everything I have read says an ammeter should handle the load, especially the load created in the Lark. I have wired 10 gauge from the battery and from the alternator. I would gladly change to a Voltmeter if there was one that fit in the Lark's gauge cluster, As for the terminals, the AMP gauge is located at the 6 o'clock position in the cluster with two terminals, one to the driver and the other to the passenger. If anyone knows, where does the driver terminal go, to the battery or the alternator? I have a spare 63 speedo (green) and the cluster set of gauges and speedo (white) that I removed. If anyone can use them, they are yours.
                Warren
                You said you have a "one wire" alternator. That one wire goes to the battery. It doesn't matter where you run the ammeter wire to, battery or alternator, they're both the same place. I'd run it to the battery side of the solenoid, it's easiest.

Comment

Warren, as an aside, since it has nothing to do with how the gauges are wired, I am not sure those gauge clusters are from a '63. The gauge clusters in my '63 Wagonnaire had a black background. The gauge clusters in my '64 and '65 have the green background like those in your photo. Maybe some '63s had the black background and others did not. I've only owned one. I'm sure StudeRich can clarify this . ~ Dale

Comment

The '61 Larks and Deluxe 1962's have White faces with round Idiot Lights.

'62 Lark Regal, Daytona & Cruiser Gauge Cluster is Black, early ones have Round idiot Lights, Late are rectangular.

The '63 Larks have all 4 Gauges and a Red + inside the Center Circle and are Black faced.

The '64 to '66's are Silver Green with all 4 Gauges.

All of the above have the same size Case and Chrome Bezel to match the Speedometers.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-26-2020, 10:12 PM.
                    StudeRich

Comment

Sorry, I bought these gauges on line and thought they were 63. I love the colour and installed the matching set in my 62. What I bought came with the extra speedo and I have the white set with idiot lights that I removed.
                      Warren

Comment

Here is a black face set on EBAY. There are actually at least three there. The nice one doesn't have a bezel. You can have my 62 since bezels didn't seem to change if yours' is damaged. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-...YAAOxyXzxTIdDi

Warren

Comment

Someone over on the HAMB had the dash out of his 63 with all wiring in place. He sent me a photo showing the red wire to the battery is on the post to the drivers side on an ammeter located at 6 o'clock in the gauge pack.
                          Warren

Comment

Working...
                          X