Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear axle rebuild

66/67 Avanti II rear end rebuild

Anyone have the part numbers for inner & outer axle seals and bearing and collar on the passenger side axle? Rock Auto was waayy wrong
    thanks 😊

That early of an Avanti II if it has a Dana 44 with tapered Axles, should be the same as all Studebakers '55 to '64.

You are just going to the WRONG Place for your Parts!

https://studebakervendors.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If your car has flanged axles , the seals are difficult to find.I am not sure if someone has discovered a work around. You should ask on the Avanti site.

Comment

This is becoming difficult been through the Napa seals catalogue... Nada. Going to motion industrial and Granger today.
        here is additional data and photos..
        11 brakes, no fins. Flanged axle. No Dana 44 mark, but I put 44 ring and pinion in in '73. Endplay adjuster on passenger side. ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​

Comment

See post #2.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Upgrade for all. Finally determined that my rear was a 63 R3 unit. Bought a 30 spline posi unit from jegs. got the seals, bearings ect. all worked out, went to put the axles in and found out all the aftermarket posi units for dana are 1 1/8 dia. mine, of course, are 1". So now i guess its custom axle time. Definitely has been a struggle.

Comment

There’s at least half a dozen vendors with all of the parts available to completely rebuild your rear end!
              1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
              1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
              1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
              1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Where are they. I sure couldn't get any detailed info.

Comment

I think what everyone is suggesting is that you contact the Studebaker vendors and not Rock Auto, NAPA and such.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

If it was truly an R3 axle, the bearings are sealed. Use Ford Truck F100 axle bearings from around 1970.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The Dana 44 has been in production for ~65 years, and many changes/improvements were made over the years.. When NAPA, etc digitized their catalogs about 25 years ago, the people that they hired to do it tended to combine applications to the point that many part numbers only fit SOME of the vehicles listed. A good 4x4 shop would probably be able to help you. If you want to do the work yourself, you would be better off dealing with folks who are familiar with the old Dana axles, like Studebaker and Jeep parts vendors.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

stude international ... zip meyer... nada Does anyone have a 19 spline TT carrier they want to part with

Comment

pm sent Chris
                          "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                          X