I need recommendation on GM Torque Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need recommendation on GM Torque Converter

Hello, I am at the point where I need to purchase a GM torque Converter. I have purchased an adapter plate made by Steel tech. I am using a rebuilt 259 full flow motor. Also, I plan to use a turbo 350 transmission. Steel tech recommends that I use a 10" torque converter. My 259 is stock. Can anyone recommend a torque converter or tell me your experience on this matter?

A ten inch is WAY too small for street driving. Use a twelve or thirteen. Get one from a Camaro, like 71, as long as it's a non-lockup. (69 to 78)

Comment

Something around an 1800 rpm stall would be fine. Your local trans shop should be able to get you a stock rebuilt that would work fine.

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

If you are putting this behind a stock 259, no R1/2 cammed unit,I would use no higher than a 1500 stall. A basic chev converter, C-9, will have about a 1300 to 1400 stall speed. The transmission shop that you purchase from can elaborate on slightly higher stall speeds. Most FLAPS counterpersons haven't a clue, so they end up calling someone "in the know" to answer your and their questions.Also it would help to know what bolt patterns the adapter flywheel is drilled for- inother words bolt circle diameter. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

I put a stock Vette higher stall converter in my Studebaker streetrod project, On one of first outings ,the converter would not lock up (700r4) , trans temp went over 200 degrees in short time due to stall. What I am trying to say is,watch going with too much stall, it transfers into heat.
          ( have since fixed lockup and no problems now) Randy

Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
          Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I have a mildly warmed over 259 coupled to a TH350 transmission in my M5 truck. I talked to the local speed shop about what had been done to the engine and how I wanted to drive it, and they recommended a stock converter. I bought one for the 1972 Chevy Malibu the transmission came out of. I think the stall speed was 1500-1800 but am not sure. In any case, it has worked fine for 13,000 miles. I also used the Malibu modulator.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Comment

The TH350 is still a great choice of trans for a Stude conversion.
              Plentiful, decent ratios, trick stuff available, and inexpensive.
              I have a shift kit/stock converter in my truck and it is fine.
              Sometimes I wish it had a higher stall converter in it, but a visit to the gas station makes me get over that...
              O/D's are nice... But simplicity has some virtues, too.
              A TH350 is about the closest thing you could get to a B/W 1st gear start A/T....and it is lighter.
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jjones

I have a mildly warmed over 259 coupled to a TH350 transmission in my M5 truck. I talked to the local speed shop about what had been done to the engine and how I wanted to drive it, and they recommended a stock converter. I bought one for the 1972 Chevy Malibu the transmission came out of. I think the stall speed was 1500-1800 but am not sure. In any case, it has worked fine for 13,000 miles. I also used the Malibu modulator.

Hope this helps

Jeff

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I agree. There's no need to putz around with a tricky O/D trans. for 99% of all Studes. To really get any measurable benefit you need to drive them a LOT more than most all Studes are.

I agree- K.I.S.S.

Unless of course one is going complicated just for the sake of going complicated

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                X