No announcement yet.

Wanting to add A/C to a 1959 Lark VI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Wanting to add A/C to a 1959 Lark VI.

I would like to add A/C to our 1959 Lark but I am wondering how did the dealers do this with the little six and a single groove crank pulley. I've found several underdash mount units that appear to be period correct. Has anyone done this and could share information.

Thanks,

Dale

Contact the SNM at abeckman@studebakermuseum.org and purchase a copy of installation instructions for AC-2939.
    AL SORAN RACING

Comment

An original York compressor will suck a lot of power out of that 90 hp Lark when it's engaged.
      A modern 5-piston compressor will be noticeable as well, but much preferred.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Check with vintage air - they have been doing this type thing for 25+ years. At the same time, you might want to consider a radiator and electric fan upgrade. Getting rid of the old metal fan might make up for the AC compressor drain. Good luck.

Comment

I did an AC conversion on our63 Lark 6 cylinder. I found a factory A/C mounting bracket at Studebaker International.
          They also make a rotary compressor adapter bracket which I also bought. You have to track down a double groove crank pulley. It is a doable project. Just allow yourself lots of time to do it. I don’t remember for sure, but I think I used a small block
          Chevy V8 pulley.

Comment

Working...
          X