Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Location of backup light switch on '63 Wagonaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Location of backup light switch on '63 Wagonaire

I am working on a friend's '63 Wagonaire (Daytona, 259, 3 speed/overdrive). The backup lights don't work and I can't find the backup light switch. From the manuals, it looks like it should mount on the steering column (under the hood) and use a link from the first/reverse shift lever. I don't see anything there. Is it under the dash?
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Not sure about a wagon, but on my '62 GT its on the column under the dash, it has white/red and white/black wires attached to it. Well, that's where it was before I changed the steering column.
    sigpic

Comment

The under the Hood B/U Switches were on '47 to '60's you must have an Older Shop Manual.

The Manual Trans. Switch of course will only be a 2 Wire Unit, a very similar switch for Automatic has 4 Wire Terminals, 2 more for the Neutral Switch portion.

If the wiring and connections are good, you will likely find the Nylon ball end of the trigger rod broken off, requiring a New Switch which MUST be installed properly (Synced) per the Shop Manual or damage will occur.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks gentlemen! I'll go diving under the dash later this morning.
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

I located the switch and the problem. The wiring harness to the switch had "become involved" with the parking brake. Every time the brake was pulled on, it pulled the wires off of the backup light switch. I re-routed it and all is well. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X