Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1957 Hawk Parking Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1957 Hawk Parking Brakes

57 Hawk Brakes
    This is my first post, though I have been working on cars my whole life, Studebaker are very new to me. I recently purchased a 1957 Silver Hawk, that came more of a kit then a car, many previous owners, a lot done wrong, and possibly parts missing.

I’m sure I’ll have a lot of questions, but for starters, I really could use pictures for where the parking brake should be installed inside of the car and under the hood. Currently the cable is hitting the valve cover and inside it is dangling to the right of the steering wheel (see picture).

Also, it looks like the seal for the brake/clutch is old but made from a tire, please tell me hat is not factory. (See picture2)
    Attached Files

They do hit the valve cover and the right side of the steering column is where the lever is mounted

Comment

Yep! Mine hits the rocker cover, I put a piece of vinyl tube over it. It doesn't do anything for the previous 50 years of chafing the chrome, but it looks like someone cares.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1487 text.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	1843601
      My cable does not press against the steering column though. It runs on the outside (fender side) of the steering box (I have vinyl tube over it there too). If it were on the inside it would be forced to bend around both the rocker cover and the steering and be extremely close to the exhaust manifold.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1488 text.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	1843602
      The lever is mounted under the dash on the right of the column. It's usually mounted with a wooden block spacer so it drops below the dash board.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489 text.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1843607
      The floor seal around the pedals is a sheet of rubber under a metal sheet. I think mine had been replaced in the past too but it was not with tire. I've since sealed all those holes and installed swing pedals. No more wind or water leaks!
      Last edited by bensherb; 06-30-2020, 11:56 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
        The lever is mounted under the dash on the right of the column. It's usually mounted with a wooden block spacer so it drops below the dash board.
        Thanks the pictures will help a lot! Any idea of the dimensions and shape of the block. I don’t seem to have one in the extra parts. Any idea where it attaches?

Comment

Originally posted by dsfarrell View Post
          Thanks the pictures will help a lot! Any idea of the dimensions and shape of the block. I don’t seem to have one in the extra parts. Any idea where it attaches?
          If the E brake lever assembly is "nutted" through the firewall as it should be, there should be two holes in the dash support that line up with it. The wood block is just a spacer. The mounting bolts go through the brake lever bracket, the wood and into the dash support. If I remember right my bolts are self tapping type and just screw into the support. Just guessing my wood block is maybe 3/4" to 1" thick about 4" long and 1" to 1 1/4" wide. All that really matters is that the handle clears the bottom of the dash and you can grab it. I'm not sure which handle a '57 has, I have a "T" handle. Our '53 has an "L" handle, but both have the same tube assembly and similar mounting. I think the '53 bolts to the lower edge of the dash, but it has a metal dash.
          sigpic

Comment

Just as an aside, my daughter and son-in-law, just bought a Ranch in Bandera...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
              Just as an aside, my daughter and son-in-law, just bought a Ranch in Bandera...
              That is Awesome. We bought our place in Bandera over 12 years ago, but just moved up here full time after selling our home in the Houston area last year. We love the Texas Hill Country area.

Comment

Working...
              X