Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Transmission oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Transmission oil

In a bit of a pickle here folks. I had the transmission on my '63 Avanti R-2,S/N: 2658, rebuilt in 2018. When it was rebuilt I said that the transmission oil that was in there was Ford Type "F". The shop that rebuilt it said that they would replace the transmission oil with a better substitution and I went with it. The problem I now have is that the transmission has been rebuilt, everything is fine, however the shop that rebuilt the transmission is no longer in business. I don't know what they used. I have plenty of Ford Type "F" that I could use or would that mess things up? So far I'm G2G but what should I use when I need to add?
    -thanks in advance.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

I guess that they installed Dexron. If the transmission was rebuilt two years ago, I wouldn't think that you would have to worry about adding any fluid. When it comes time, just replace all of the fluid with what you want to use (I would use Dexron).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you decide to Drain it do not forget that there are Two places that need draining, the Torque Converter has a small plug and of course you have to remove the Filler/Dipstick Tube to drain the Pan.
      Just like an Engine, you always get a better drain Hot after returning from a drive, just use wrist high Rubber gloves and a face shield.
      I have heard that Coffee is HOT, but I KNOW Oil is!

After about 3-5000 Miles it should be changed and I would use Type "F", but as Gary said, he and "some" others have not had a problem with Dex-Merc.
      It's your choice, I just prefer the Firmer Shifts, which I am sure are hard to notice the difference, the Clutches don't speak English.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

When you pull the dip stick tube carefully inspect the tube flare, they tend to crack there and cause a niggling leak. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
        X