Anti creep device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti creep device

So I discovered the brake fluid leak isnt coming from the master cylinder, but from the ACD, on the side where some linkages attaches. Haven't called Studebaker International yet but read on another thread that part can't be hard to find. Worse case scenario..Since it attaches to carb linkage also, and has a fuse somewhere..is it possible to remove/bypass it and operate without the anti creep system at all?

On the '48 Champion that would be a Hill-Holder; not an Anti-Creep. The Anti-Creep is a different system available on automatic transmissions beginning in 1950.
    Both the Hill-Holder on the standard Transmission and the Anti-Creep on the automatic transmission can be by-passed by simply plumbing the brake lines directly in to the master cylinder.
    But both of them are kind of neat devices and, if you can get it to work and not leak, you may actually like it.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Does older hill holder connect to carb and have an electric connection? The hill holder on my 64 Avanti just has linkage to clutch.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Generally speaking, hill holders are connected mechanically to the clutch linkage on a standard transmission. Anti-creep devices are connected electrically to an automatic transmission.

Disclaimer: My knowledge base does not include Avanti-specific information.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy, I agree. Hill holders have linkage to clutch pedal. There is no electric connection and no linkage to carb. Perhaps O.P. is referring to something else. Maybe a picture is in order?
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The anti-creep also has a tiny ground switch mounted on the firewall, as soon as the accelerator pedal is touched that tiny switch releases the brake line held by the anti-creep solenoid.

Terminology has often confused many folks, and knowledge gained in passing conversations puts one on the road to finding complete and correct answers.
            The Hill-Holder feature sold by Studebaker is also called the No-Rol in the Chassis Catalog. That the Anti-Creep on the automatics existed at about the same time is enough to confuse even Studebaker owners.
            Someone no doubt gave Jerry sound advice, but without the particulars he needs.

I assumed, Jerry's car being a '48 Champion, it had to be a Hill-Holder/No-Rol, and not the Anti-Creep; which doesn't mean someone hasn't retrofitted a DG150 trans.

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If it is indeed a hill holder, new seals can be bought easily. The unit itself might be hard to find and are different throughout the years, but the seal kit fits all from 1936 to 1966 (I think). I just ordered one from Studebaker International 2 days ago for my 54. How easy it is to replace the seal, I'll find out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by alex54 View Post
                If it is indeed a hill holder, new seals can be bought easily. The unit itself might be hard to find and are different throughout the years, but the seal kit fits all from 1936 to 1966 (I think). I just ordered one from Studebaker International 2 days ago for my 54. How easy it is to replace the seal, I'll find out soon.
                I have heard that it is a bear to do and often leaks afterwards. I have not rebuilt one.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                X