Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Needed dimensions from a 2R5 short box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Needed dimensions from a 2R5 short box

My old, but still attractive, 6 1/2 foot box "dress-up" wooden stakes from my M5 are now surplus. The buyer of my truck made his own instead (separate shipping for over a thousand miles was difficult, too).

ln order to sell them to a possibly wider market, l'm humbly asking an owner of a short box 2R5 to measure the location of the stake pockets to determine if the stakes would fit that model as well.

Measuring along the length of a 2R5 6 1/2 foot box, are the front and rear stake pockets real close to 74" apart, center to center? If so, my "decently nice" (my appraisal) cedar dress-up stakes should fit both trucks.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Everybody stay safe!
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Not by my truck now but keep in mind that the short box was widened in the late 50’s. I had a ‘53 that was like 48-1/2” wide from wall to wall. My champ i believe is at 50” on the nose

Comment

Originally posted by thehotrodder View Post
      Not by my truck now but keep in mind that the short box was widened in the late 50’s. I had a ‘53 that was like 48-1/2” wide from wall to wall. My champ i believe is at 50” on the nose
      That would only be an issue if Stewdi has stakes going across the bed behind the cab, but that is a valid point.
      Mike Davis
      Regional Manager, North Carolina
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post

That would only be an issue if Stewdi has stakes going across the bed behind the cab, but that is a valid point.
        You're right. No issue - no stakes across the width of the box. Only dress-up stakes along the sides.

Anyone out there have a tape measure and a 2R5 short box?
        Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

The stake holes on my '51 2R5 are 72-3/4" centre to centre.

Comment

Hmmmm. Not quite what l'd hoped. But l guess lll just have to take one of my stakes to a meet - whenever the covid rules say we can have one - to try it for sure (maybe the stake pockets on a 2R5 are slightly longer than an M5?).

Thanks Marcus, for your help.
            Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

The distance from the back edge of the front pocket to the front edge of the back pocket is 70-1/2". The pocket dimensions are approx 2-1/8" x 1-3/8". Don't know if that helps you.

Comment

Ok I just went to check on the 56 truck the holes are 2 1/16th front to back 1 5/16th side to side. From front hole to front of back hole is 72 9/16th from front of front hole to back of back hole 74 11/16th. I hope this makes sense to you.

Comment

It seems soooo close. lll have to find a 2R5 to try them on. Our chapter's prez has a '49 about a half hour away (nice drive, too).
                  Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
                  X