Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Contemporary Color Code for '50 Champion Maui Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Contemporary Color Code for '50 Champion Maui Blue

I have a '50 Champion - LA build, orig. color is Maui Blue. I need help finding a contemporary listing of color codes for basecoat/clearcoat application.
    In Studebaker Bulletin # 17 from 1950 it lists the codes from DUPONT for Maui Blue
    from DULUX: 93-71555 and DUCO: 246-71555

I need the equivalent modern codes for basecoat/clearcoat brands

I believe that most professional auto paint shops today can match and mix an exact replica of your paint by taking a scan of it. Assuming there is a spot that has not been exposed to the elements (inside the trunk or glovebox, for instance), then you may be in luck.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

When I did my car, it too is Maui Blue, I took a color code card and they scanned it. Then mixed the color from that. I probably still have the code for PPG shopline series.
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I cannot find the Maui Blue for '50 Champion build in LA in the chart published in the threat, there is that color for the 1953 year, would it be the same?
        Thank you JuanTomas

1950 Studebaker Paint ND Velvet Black, UF Bahama Blue, UG Highland Mist, UL Plaza Gray, UN Concord Blue, UP Midnight Blue, UR Bermuda Green, UT Copper Mist, UY Black Cherry, UZ Comache Red, VA Grove Green, VB Falcon Gray, VC Aqua Green, VD Steel Mist, VF Fiesta Tan, Cherokee Red, Chrome Yellow, Clover Green, Cuban Tan, Heather Gray, Iroquois Blue, Lebanon Green, Tuscin Tan

Comment

Maui Blue should be the same color in 53 as it was in 50.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

As MAUI BLUE fror '50 is the same as for '53, can I get some help w/ the modern Paint Codes for this color for the various paint brands, basecoat-clearcoat.
            Car is not running yet and no sample w/ orig color available for scanning! Thank you so much, JuanTomas

Comment

Aren't the modern codes listed in the web page you posted? Am I confused?
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Is the Paint good inside of the Gas Door?
                Sometimes the Paint was very thin there and rusting, but if yours is good, you can remove it and have it scanned.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Is the Paint good inside of the Gas Door?
                  Sometimes the Paint was very thin there and rusting, but if yours is good, you can remove it and have it scanned.
                  The car was disassembled and primed many years ago. JuanThomas said that the only Maui blue on the car is the firewall and the car is still semi disassembled and not driveable.

Since it is an LA built car, the underside of the trunk lid should be painted Maui blue also. But JT said he was reluctant to remove the trunk lid and take it somewhere for paint matching.

I warned him not to just look in the paint charts and pick a modern color that looks close. A painter bullied me into doing just that 35 years ago. To this day, whenever I look at my beautiful car, it still disappoints and angers me that it is not the right color after all that work and money.
                  Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-03-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

From this forum..........
                    02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
                    I went after a can of Maui Blue today. The most accurate paint code for it is DS161 from Du Pont.
                    Chris Dresbach
                    So, how did it look Chris?

Comment

Working...
                    X