Motor serial number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Motor serial number

Hi gang! I'm trying to identify the year of this V8 Studebaker motor which, I was told, is a 1953. It is disassembled and after careful scrutiny I found this number stamped on a boss above the timing cover: P33675. Also, in front right side of intake manifold: 5 535601. These are the only numbers I could find. Nothing on the back near the distributor.
    All help greatly appreciated!

It's not a 53. The first "P" numbered engine was 1955. There is a serial number list online.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

It looks like a 289 from 1956. That is a great engine.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-17-2020, 04:09 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Great news! Than k you!!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCars View Post
        I found this number stamped on a boss above the timing cover: P33675. Nothing on the back near the distributor.
        Only the '51 and '52 V-8s had the engine number stamped on the boss next to the distributor. Moved up by the timing cover in '53.
        • 1951-52: on top, rear end of cylinder block, next to distributor.
        • 1953-64: on top, front end of cylinder block.
        • 1965-66: on a pad on the right front of the block immediately in front of the right cylinder head.

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Very interesting what people sometimes "Tell" each other! Usually Worse than hoped, this is a VERY GOOD thing.
          A very early example of the '55 to Early 1962, 535601 Casting before a lot of wear on the tooling happened.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The link to the engine listing is coming up not found (404 error).

Comment

Originally posted by jheyde View Post
              The link to the engine listing is coming up not found (404 error).
              Are you using the link from the new SDC web site?

https://studebakerdriversclub.com/wp...tification.pdf
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The Resources Tab or Link seems broken, I notified the Moderator on the Proper Forum: "SDC Forum Help".
                I could not get ANY of the Links there in "Resources" to work, No error message just return back with no data.

I go to the New Website from the "Studebaker Drivers Club" Link at the top of these pages, White on the Black Line.

________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

But Crazy, er I mean Gary: this means either you have a '55 259 or a '56 to early 1962 289 if this Block still has a 289 Stroke Crankshaft.

Also, IF it's a 289 you should find "Dished" Pistons if you look or feel in a Plug Hole.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  I could not get ANY of the Links there in "Resources" to work, No error message just return back with no data.

I go to the New Website from the "Studebaker Drivers Club" Link at the top of these pages, White on the Black Line.
                  It's working okay for me, Rich. Are you using a PC or some other device?

Note: many of the site pages are now in pdf format. If your device doesn't support pdf files, that may be the problem. https://studebakerdriversclub.com/wp...tification.pdf
                  Last edited by rockne10; 01-23-2021, 04:22 PM.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I just tried by going to the SDC "button" on the top of this page and was able to get to the engine numbering list.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What the Heck! We are are not Hosting these Pages any longer? Now you have to Download them to Read them.

You are right Brad, I was not looking for the little Blue Arrow at the upper right of my Firefox Browser to light up, telling me my Downloads File has a New PDF!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S about annoying!

ANYWAY, the bottom line is that Gary's Engine: P33675, is a 1956 South Bend Assembled 289 Engine from a 1956 President or Sky Hawk.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X