Dana rear end Chevy Baker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Dana rear end Chevy Baker

I picked up a 66 Chevy Baker. No engine or tran. The tag on the rear differential says 43-13, 3.31. I know what these numbers mean, but I don't know if it is a twin traction. Usually I spin one of the wheels to test- if other wheel goes same way then it is TT, if it goes opposite way then not TT. But on this guy I spin one of the wheels and the other does not turn. So it's probably broken.

If it is TT I'm inclined to rebuild it. If not I have another TT I can use. Does anybody know the Hamilton policy on rear ends in 66? The car is a Daytona sport sedan. There is no other tag on the rear end. I know I can tear into it to determine- but just in case anyone knows something...

This is the first Dana I've seen on a Stude with flanged axles.

Did you try spinning the other wheel? The brakes could be locked. To check for TT, pull the drain plug. If you can put your finger in, it is open axle. If you touch something right away, it is TT. IIRC, Stude changed to flanged axles for the 65 models. 64 R3s also had flanged axles.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Leave one tire on the ground, transmission in neutral, and e-brake off. If you can rotate the raised tire and the driveshaft spins, it is NOT a TT. If it locks up in less than 1/4 turn, it IS a TT.

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
        Did you try spinning the other wheel? The brakes could be locked. To check for TT, pull the drain plug. If you can put your finger in, it is open axle. If you touch something right away, it is TT. IIRC, Stude changed to flanged axles for the 65 models. 64 R3s also had flanged axles.
        Studebaker changed from tapered axles to flanged during the 1965 model year. Only the later 65 differentials have flanged axles.
        -Dwight

Comment

Thanks for the info 64StudeAvanti. I pulled the drain plug, stuck my finger in and hit something about and inch and quarter in, so I guess then it is TT.

I have it up on blocks and it is the same for both sides- I turn the wheel and the other side doesn't turn. that suggests to me it is busted.

Comment

No, it just means that the driveshaft if not connected.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkBuilder View Post
              Thanks for the info 64StudeAvanti. I pulled the drain plug, stuck my finger in and hit something about and inch and quarter in, so I guess then it is TT.

I have it up on blocks and it is the same for both sides- I turn the wheel and the other side doesn't turn. that suggests to me it is busted.
              What you describe suggest to me you have a conventional rear end, not a TT.

Comment

Working...
              X