No announcement yet.

What is a good rear end to fit under a 52 Champion with a chev 283

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: What is a good rear end to fit under a 52 Champion with a chev 283

Hello folks Im looking to fit a rear end under a 52 Champion with a Chev 283. Currently I have a chev 3 speed transmission and wish to keep it on the tree I wouldnt mind a 4 speed on the tree? Or a five speed on the tree? ADVICE please. I dont want to cut up the floor for a stick.

Im not looking to race the car Im going to drive more like a dude going to a car show. Ok I'll smoke tires But really just drive it a lot. Also I hope a long road trip in the future.
    I heard an s10 rear end works well but which one would you use? Is there another choice you would use?

I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

Why not a Dana 44 from a Commander?
    I know of very few 4-on-the-tree shifters (perhaps Citroën and Peugeot); and question if there were ever any fives.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

four on the tree was very common in Europe. I've never seen a fiver but I imagine they exist. I don't think its very likely to find one for your stude. If you don't want to violate the floor I suggest any of an excellent selection of automatics.

...or a good three speed stick with OD.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I would use a 56" wide Ford 9" from Speedway. Catch them when they have a sale. They have Currie build them for Speedway and they are around $650. But that is just housing and axles. Build a few centre sections and have all the ratios you need.

Comment

I don't know why you are talking about a Transmission, it sounds like you have that Chev. Engine and Three Speed which would be for a Column shift. You are asking for a Rear End I think? Go with what you have.

As Brad said; a '51 or '52 Commander Dana Model 44 is a bolt-in and about THE ONLY one with the correct track width for your '52 Champion. Also Plenty strong enough for a 283.

If you do not have a Standard Trans. Shift Jacket , Shifting Tube, Levers and Linkage, just buy one from a Parts Car and "adjust" the Linkage Rods to fit the GM Tranny.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel G. Tattooer View Post
            I heard an s10 rear end works well but which one would you use? Is there another choice you would use?

I put one of those in my '54 Coupe for two reasons...I'm a CASO and wanted to run wide rear wheels with little back spacing to them. Would I do it again? Probably not. Not really anything wrong with the setup, just not worth the time, plus I was too cheap to have the axle flanges re-drilled and am now stuck with 2 different bolt patterns for wheels. If you're sticking to stock width housing then why not go with the Stude Dana 44 and if the tapered axles bother you then install Moser flanged ones?
            cheers, junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I hope that you upgrade the brakes, at least on the front.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My 52 Commander with 259 came to me with a 2002 Sonoma (same as S-10) rear end. It is slightly narrower so I have a bit more clearance for a little more tire. The 3:54 gear works really well with my overdrive and wasn't bad on the highway before I got the overdrive working. This rear end has a reputation for being relatively strong with moderate power levels.
                My first choice would have been a 51-52 Dana 44, but they are hard to find. A Ford explorer rear end is from 1990-03 is narrow enough and would have the 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern to match the front, but the center is off-set. That could be a problem, but I have not tried it myself. The S-10 bolt pattern is 5 x 4 3/4 and I have dual bolt pattern wheels that will fit front or back.
                BTW The car also has later self energizing front brakes on the front and stops well.
                I might add that, when I got the car on the highway, I found that the driveshaft rubbed the floor if the car bounced. I added an extra long leaf to the rear springs and stopped that. It raised the car an inch or so and stiffened the spring. I like the way it handles. If you want the car lower the floor could be massaged a bit to get clearance.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                  I would use a 56" wide Ford 9" from Speedway. Catch them when they have a sale. They have Currie build them for Speedway and they are around $650. But that is just housing and axles. Build a few centre sections and have all the ratios you need.
                  A 9" is huge. Get an 8" from a 1970 up Ford Maverick or Mercury Comet. It's already 56" wide without narrowing. Bolt pattern is correct, ratio should be good too, and can easily take 400Hp. I can't remember if I had to move the mounting pads or not.
                  sigpic

Comment

Centre of pads is 41 1/2" +- 1/2"

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

A 9" is huge. Get an 8" from a 1970 up Ford Maverick or Mercury Comet. It's already 56" wide without narrowing. Bolt pattern is correct, ratio should be good too, and can easily take 400Hp. I can't remember if I had to move the mounting pads or not.
                      That would be a good one, but how many Mavericks or Comets have you seen in a salvage yard in the last year or so?
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

There are no more "salvage yards" / "wreckers" around here anymore, they were all replaced with condos ten years ago. The new wreckers are Ebay and Craigs list.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ed, The Currie rears are the same weight as a 44 or less with disc brakes. I found a Lincoln Versai in a bone yard and strained my left one trying to lift it.

Comment

I have a Dana 44 from a 51 commander. It has 4.11 gears. You can have it if you have a way to get it to you.
                            78 Avanti RQB 2792
                            64 Avanti R1 R5408
                            63 Avanti R1 R4551
                            63 Avanti R1 R2281
                            62 GT Hawk V15949
                            56 GH 6032504
                            56 GH 6032588
                            55 Speedster 7160047
                            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post

That would be a good one, but how many Mavericks or Comets have you seen in a salvage yard in the last year or so?
                              I know of one with quite a few and Monzas as well as vega's
                              Rohners In willmer MN
                              I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
                              sigpic
                              I'll Tattoo you anytime!
                              And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
                              Crazy Lady Ink
                              Shakopee Mn.
                              952-445-3281
                              27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

Working...
                              X