Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

front end alignment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • front end alignment

    Does anyone have any real world experince (ie. have you done it)
    Studebaker front end alignment using the Fasttrax tool that eastwood sells vs. the longacre racing fixture.
    Thanks
    Russ

    Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

    Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

  • #2
    I have a Longacre (bubble) caster/camber tool and a toe in gauge (Harbor freight).
    Couple pair of dollar store pizza pans..
    Take one pizza pan, put a dab of grease in the middle and plop the second pan on top...
    Instant turning plates...
    Harbor Freight Turning plates $150...
    Mine $4
    (A Calvin Lowell Trick)..
    It'll take you all day to do your first one...
    But it will work.
    But get the Stude service manual first.
    Make sure to read how to center the steering gear.
    Jeff[8D]



    quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

    Does anyone have any real world experince (ie. have you done it)
    Studebaker front end alignment using the Fasttrax tool that eastwood sells vs. the longacre racing fixture.
    Thanks
    Russ

    Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)


    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

    Jeff


    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



    Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

    Comment


    • #3
      which mounting adapter do you have for the longcore, magnetic? or is there one that works with the stude spindle? I've reviewed the postings on the forum about home brewed front end alignment and would like to give it a try. I've got several stude front end rebuilds under my belt and two more scheduled in this month.
      thanks for the info.
      quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

      I have a Longacre (bubble) caster/camber tool and a toe in gauge (Harbor freight).
      Couple pair of dollar store pizza pans..
      Take one pizza pan, put a dab of grease in the middle and plop the second pan on top...
      Instant turning plates...
      Harbor Freight Turning plates $150...
      Mine $4
      (A Calvin Lowell Trick)..
      It'll take you all day to do your first one...
      But it will work.
      But get the Stude service manual first.
      Make sure to read how to center the steering gear.
      Jeff[8D]



      quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

      Does anyone have any real world experince (ie. have you done it)
      Studebaker front end alignment using the Fasttrax tool that eastwood sells vs. the longacre racing fixture.
      Thanks
      Russ

      Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)


      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
      Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

      Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

      Comment


      • #4
        I use a magnetic Rebco bubble gauge but I also have the the 3/4"-16 spindle adapter that fits Stude spindle.
        Either will work. The more level the car the more accurate your results.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have both the threaded adapter and the magnetic mount.
          My Longacre came with the magnetic mount already on it and I have never swapped it out. The magnetic mount worked too easy.
          The magnet is pretty strong and once it's on you don't move it around anyways.
          Go for it!
          Jeff[8D]


          quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

          which mounting adapter do you have for the longcore, magnetic? or is there one that works with the stude spindle? I've reviewed the postings on the forum about home brewed front end alignment and would like to give it a try.
          <snip>
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

          Jeff


          Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



          Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

          Comment

          Working...
          X