Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Water in crankcase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number 3 cylinder imploded... Valves are very slightly bent, but pistons in a bunch of pieces in the pan...rod survived! Pin and pinch bolt are intact.

Comment

All those pictures make me want to cry

Bob Miles

Comment

So Where is the Crack in the Cooling System (Block) that caused all the Coolant in the Cylinders?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I think the cylinder let go, and it was spinning fast enough that it shot up through the intake valve while it was open.

Comment

Do the head gaskets have to be oriented correctly? If so, is it possible they were installed incorrectly and covering/exposing coolant passages?

Comment

Or the broken piston knocked a hole in the block.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

​​​​​​Brand new Kieth black slugs, lubed up, clearance checked. Water under the bridge now,....

Comment

At what R.P.M. did things let go?

Comment

Dunno, no tach hooked up. I revved it up a couple times to clear out the carb, but nothing excessive..

Comment

Never saw THAT before..

Comment

My wife is not impressed, lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalobill View Post
                          HAHA...that probably puts you into a more common group within this crowd than most of us would want to admit.

On a more serious note...unless my memory has completely left me...the rods in these engines require a specific orientation. Any chance one was turned the wrong way? I made a quick review of the posts and don't see where anyone has mentioned this? I don't even know if the cap can be bolted up if the rod is turned the wrong way, but I'm just trying to make sense of how such a failure could occur on a newly rebuilt engine?

Those of us who have tinkered with these engines, either the six cylinders or the eights, know that they are ruggedly built and can take a lot of abuse before blowing apart, and especially the lower end. We have a select group of members who have built, raced, and punished these engines for years and can attest to their durability with great credibility. That's the reason I am so curious as to exactly what let go on yours?
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm at a loss as to why the piston disintegrated within a few seconds of the first engine start. The only thing I can think of without being to see the carnage first hand is a major defect in the piston such as an unseen crack in the wrist pin area. I've seen plenty of failed pistons over the years, but nothing like that. Bud

Comment

Possibly swallowed a nut, bolt, or other debris that was accidentally dropped into the carb or was lurking in the intake manifold. Sort through all the debris and see if you can find something that didn't belong there.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalobill View Post
                                Heck, all I had to do was bring a Studebaker home in any condition and my (ex) wife was not impressed. She never did ask about cost which is a good thing. When I had to sell as car for economic reasons, or if a car had to be pressed into service, I would say Studebaker bailed us out again and she would. My 1956 Golden Hawk did pay for the oldest daughter's wedding

Bob Miles

Comment

Working...
                                X