Ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Ignition switch

I had an NOS ignition switch I installed in my '58 Scotsman when I rewired the car and the danged bezel won't seat properly, I guess, because it comes apart - and always when I'm away from home. Makes my pucker string cinch when it happens 'cause all I can see is the wires grounding on the dash below the switch. Thankfully, it hasn't happened, but going to work today, the switch popped apart again. After taking my wife's car to work I bought a universal switch I'm going to install and be done with worrying about it. I've never been a fan of the two tangs, bumps, doinks or whatever they're called Studebaker used to hold the switch bezel on. Had a similar problem in my Avanti and I think I used JB Weld in a moment of frustration to glue them.
    I would rather live with using the dorky keys that come with the new switch, than holding my breath each time I crank the car.

The Fix you missed Tom is the New replacement Aluminum Bezel that is not brittle Chromed Pot Metal, so is stronger, doesn't break or fall apart. The "Tangs" on your original Bezel were bent or broken and failed.

Sorry you had to use the inferior Dodge Van/Universal Switch with the ugly threaded Nut showing and only a 4 Cut key that cannot be matched to the 5 Cut Yale Door Locks.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What is the new replacement aluminium bezel that you mention? Equally important, where would I find one?
      Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

I stock them here in Washington, at Studebakers Northwest as the other farther away Studebaker Vendors do.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X