No announcement yet.

How to re-paint speedometer needle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: How to re-paint speedometer needle?

1955 E-series truck.
    I have new gauges to install, except for the speedometer. What paint is out there to paint the speedometer needle? (Don't think I would find a new pointer for it)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5830.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1837929
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Testors model paint day-glow orange.

Comment

I used an appropriate coloured paint used on plastic models (airfix etc.)
      Head to your local model shop and look at there range of paints and colours.
      I used a fluorescent colour on my Avanti gauge.
      pb

Comment

Well, after the shelter in place and business restrictions are lifted, we'll try that.
        Were you satisfied with the results?
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Comment

If you are confident in your ability to handle small parts "delicately," just make sure to clean the pointer well. When I found my truck (1974) the pointer was two-tone. One half (lengthwise) was a light color(glow in the dark?) and the other side was red. I did mine decades ago and it has finally begun to flake a bit. So, (if I live long enough to get around to it) I will probably go to Hobby Lobby and buy a small bottle of bright red for the high-speed side (as if high-speed is an issue) of the needle and paint the other half with glow in the dark fluorescent paint.

It will require a steady hand and a good quality artist brush. Always a greater challenge as we get older.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I used model enamel paint on the needles on my 2R . It seems fine so far. The speedometer head was a replacement with an orange needle and I painted it white to match.
            I also painted the rusty bezel with Dupli-Color "chrome" spray paint. It is the shiniest chrome paint in a spray I have found.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN3852.JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	1838003
            Last edited by 52-fan; 05-27-2020, 08:05 AM. Reason: Had the wrong brand of chrome paint listed.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Be careful to not let the paint layer get too heavy. I repainted the tip of my 51 Champion's speedo with thick UV glow paint forty years ago and the needle lies on the bottom for a while, then springs up to the mid level. If the car could go any faster than that, it would probably try to peg at 100.

You might get a thinner paint coat by masking and spraying the needle.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                Be careful to not let the paint layer get too heavy. I repainted the tip of my 51 Champion's speedo with thick UV glow paint forty years ago and the needle lies on the bottom for a while, then springs up to the mid level. If the car could go any faster than that, it would probably try to peg at 100.

You might get a thinner paint coat by masking and spraying the needle.
                Roy...that's downright funny...Knowing that our old conventional speedometers operate from a calibrated magnetic field...you apparently put enough paint on that needle to change the calibration. Thanks for posting this. Honestly, I had never given it much thought. It makes sense that every moving part of the speedometer can affect the calibration and that would include the pointer and how much paint was plastered on it.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Good to know, Roy.
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

Roy...that's downright funny...Knowing that our old conventional speedometers operate from a calibrated magnetic field...you apparently put enough paint on that needle to change the calibration. Thanks for posting this. Honestly, I had never given it much thought. It makes sense that every moving part of the speedometer can affect the calibration and that would include the pointer and how much paint was plastered on it.
                    It is pretty funny. I was surprised the first time I drove it. Of course, by then it was all reassembled and way too much work to take it apart again.

What I did was make the tip too heavy and upset the delicate mechanical balance of the pointer.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

For painting the needle gold, try a Pilot Gold Marker. They are available from art supply stores or on-line with extra-fine or medium tips. Easy use, good results. Pilot also makes a silver marker.
                      http://pilotpen.us/categories/perman...tallic-marker/
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Working...
                      X