Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Light switch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Light switch wiring

Since I have done all this work on the wiring and repainting dash I decided to replace the Headlight switch, Wiper Switch and Heater Switch.

My problem is I can not seem to find in the service manual and I don't understand the wiring schematic well enough to see exactly which wires go where on the headlight switch. I thought I took pictures but can't find that on on my phone. I have them correct on the switch but on what looks like a relay on the tail end of the switch there are two post. What gets connected to these?

Again thanks in advance for your help.

I would bet what you believe to be a relay is the circuit breaker.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

It could very well be. Is there anywhere that I can find the diagram of the headlight switch only and which wires get connected where?

Comment

The contacts on most light switches are marked, often with very tiny lettering. T=tail; H=head; I=instrument; P=park; B=battery. The battery contact will be one of those on the circuit breaker. The wire from the H will normally go to a relay on the radiator mount, then to the dimmer switch.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

All good info but NO Studebaker Car or Truck I have ever seen or owned had a "Relay" for headlights, the Head Light Wire goes from the Hd. Lt. Sw. that HAS a Circuit Breaker, directly Down to the Dimmer Switch to be separated for High Beam and Low Beam, THEN 2 Wires Forward to a Terminal Strip on most models, or directly to the Lights on '59 and later.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            The wire from the H will normally go to a relay on the radiator mount, then to the dimmer switch.
            I don't believe any of my Studebakers had /have a head light relay. But if the head light bulbs have been changed to halogens, it's definitely a good idea to install one.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I stand corrected. I put halogens in my cars 30+ years ago, and the relays have now aged to the point that they look like they were OEM.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I don't believe any of my Studebakers had /have a head light relay. But if the head light bulbs have been changed to halogens, it's definitely a good idea to install one.
                I stand corrected. I put halogens in my cars 30+ years ago, and the relays have now aged to the point that they look like they were OEM.

Installed Halogens in my '63 Avanti and added the relays at the time for the upgrade. I feel it's worth the trouble / investment.
                "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                R.W. Emerson

Comment

Working...
                X