X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Word of caution..
    With thicker heat insulating gaskets being all the rage, it is easy to over-torque the mounting nuts and crush the thicker gasket material.
    Studebaker service manual spec for a 5/16"-24tpi V8 carb mount stud/nut is only 11 to 17 ft.lbs. torque.
    I would suggest using the lower number.
    (HTIH) Hope the info helps)
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• 2R2
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    I had to weld up and re-machine a couple of them in the past. It can be done. Eric DeRosa Has one of my repaired ones on his R2 Lark.
    As Brad mentioned, he welded up the pad on my R2 carb a few years ago, and so far, so good! Thanks Brad! Here's a picture of what it looked like before Brad repaired it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nov 21 2016 import 262.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1838011

Leave a comment:

• Pete R
    replied
    Since posting this AM, thanks to a Studebaker neighbor, I have located a replacement R2 "parts carb." Thanks to all who replied.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The best way to go with this since you have a good Top Half, is get a New Edelbrock AFB Clone and put your top on it and Seal it as others have done.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    I had to weld up and re-machine a couple of them in the past. It can be done. Eric DeRosa Has one of my repaired ones on his R2 Lark.

Leave a comment:

• Silverplate
    replied
    I will be interested to know if there is repair possible.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    I'd start with asking Dave Thibault, 978-897-3158; he can rebuild your R2 carb as good a new.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Pete R
    started a topic Fuel System: R2 carburetor mounting pads cracked

R2 carburetor mounting pads cracked

Yesterday I removed my carb to rebuild it and found that it was cracked (significantly) at two of the four corner mounting pads (see pictures). Big disappointment--the car was almost driveable again after almost 2 years and much work. But there is no point in rebuilding this one. So I need to replace the main body (the lower 2/3 of the carb that includes the fuel bowls) of this 3588S Carter AFB for an Avanti R2. I don't need the upper part of the carb that has the plate with the text about it being an Avanti carb. Who would have original Studebaker carburetor parts like this? Or does anyone have a usable R2 "parts carb" (or at least this part of one) in their stash of spare parts? (Ironically, I had a spare R2 "parts carb" after my previous Avanti, but sold it on eBay a few years ago, thinking I would never have an Avanti again--yeah, right.) I also think this goes to show the importance of the torque specs in the shop manual.

Thanks,

Pete
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5155.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1837629Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5157.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1837630Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5156.JPG