Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

R2 carburetor mounting pads cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: R2 carburetor mounting pads cracked

Yesterday I removed my carb to rebuild it and found that it was cracked (significantly) at two of the four corner mounting pads (see pictures). Big disappointment--the car was almost driveable again after almost 2 years and much work. But there is no point in rebuilding this one. So I need to replace the main body (the lower 2/3 of the carb that includes the fuel bowls) of this 3588S Carter AFB for an Avanti R2. I don't need the upper part of the carb that has the plate with the text about it being an Avanti carb. Who would have original Studebaker carburetor parts like this? Or does anyone have a usable R2 "parts carb" (or at least this part of one) in their stash of spare parts? (Ironically, I had a spare R2 "parts carb" after my previous Avanti, but sold it on eBay a few years ago, thinking I would never have an Avanti again--yeah, right.) I also think this goes to show the importance of the torque specs in the shop manual.

Thanks,

Pete
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5155.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1837629Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5157.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1837630Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5156.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1837631
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

I'd start with asking Dave Thibault, 978-897-3158; he can rebuild your R2 carb as good a new.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I will be interested to know if there is repair possible.
      Mike
      Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

I had to weld up and re-machine a couple of them in the past. It can be done. Eric DeRosa Has one of my repaired ones on his R2 Lark.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The best way to go with this since you have a good Top Half, is get a New Edelbrock AFB Clone and put your top on it and Seal it as others have done.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Since posting this AM, thanks to a Studebaker neighbor, I have located a replacement R2 "parts carb." Thanks to all who replied.

Pete
            Pete R
            Woodbridge, VA
            1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
            1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              I had to weld up and re-machine a couple of them in the past. It can be done. Eric DeRosa Has one of my repaired ones on his R2 Lark.
              As Brad mentioned, he welded up the pad on my R2 carb a few years ago, and so far, so good! Thanks Brad! Here's a picture of what it looked like before Brad repaired it.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	nov 21 2016 import 262.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1838011
              Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
              \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Word of caution..
                With thicker heat insulating gaskets being all the rage, it is easy to over-torque the mounting nuts and crush the thicker gasket material.
                Studebaker service manual spec for a 5/16"-24tpi V8 carb mount stud/nut is only 11 to 17 ft.lbs. torque.
                I would suggest using the lower number.
                (HTIH) Hope the info helps)
                Jeff
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X