Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Rear Main oil seal replacement on a 6cyl OHV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Rear Main oil seal replacement on a 6cyl OHV

Hi Guys,
    I am changing the oil seals in my Belgian assembled 64 GT Hawk 6cyl with manual transmission with the engine still in the car.

How do I get the rear main out as the metal plate in between the motor and transmission is interfering with it's removal??

It looks like I have a lot more to do to get it out, but I am not sure what to do next as I do not have any experience on later model 6cyl cars.
    On a V8 the plate just comes out, but on the 6 it is all the way round the back of the motor.

Thanks for your help.

Greg Diffen

Attached Files
    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Hello Greg,
    I hope you are doing well, especially under the current circumstances.
    The plate is sandwiched between the engine and the gearbox. Did you remove this one? If so, even with all bolts removed, the plate could still be tightened to the engine block by the two dowel pins if you did not drove them out.
    I just had a look at the shop manual. They don't mention the plate. They just say to remove the bearing cap. Also, you have to loosen no 2 and 3 bearing caps to facilitate the introduction of the new seal.
    With your engine already half stripped, it might be a better choice to take it out but it is placed so far back in the chassis that this can't be done with a standard crane.
    I wish you the best of luck with this tough one.
    Oh! By the way, thanks for submitting the picture of my car for the 1963 cars feature TW article. This was very kind of you.
    By all means, don't hesitate to ask if you need further assistance.
    Nice day to all.
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Greg , That plate shouldn't be a problem , Maybe you can rotate the crank to get the counter weight out of the way there for giving you a little more wiggle room , Ed

Comment

Hi Christophe,
        no worries on the pictures for TW. You are correct, the motor has to come out.

It's for the best anyway as it is easier to do the engine seals with the motor out. It's just not what I was expecting as you can do a V8 Hawk in the car.
        I can take a bit more time now and detail the motor when it's out and clean up an inner fender that has a battery acid spill on it.

I don't have much space in my home garage, but will order the extra parts and get the job done in the next few months.

Ed, thanks for the tip, but that is a 'No go' option on the 6cyl.

Saute
        Greg
        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
        1988 Avanti Convertible