Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Losing My Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Losing My Touch

It seems I am losing my touch on installing window channel (along with everything else). I can't get the stainless beaded window channel on my 53 coupe to bend the corners without the bead crimping, coming loose, etc. Have any of you used a different channeling with success? Maybe the flocked rubber or such.

Be sure that you're using flexible channel. The channel is available in rigid and flexible. I replaced the channel in both doors of my M16 and had no trouble bending it.

Roger List
    Roger W. List
    Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

It was foe the car (from a Stude vendor) Your M-15 didn't have beading ,,or did it ? Maybe I could use channel w/o beading, . Is the M 15 channel the same size as my 53 car ? Do you know what size it was ? Anybody used this in their car ? Thanks for the answer !!!

Comment

I dont think you are losing your touch , It seems there is a difference in how the materials are made , I ordered a complete weatherstrip kit from one of the vendors for our Champ . Anyway when I tried to bend the window channel it kinked and distorted , The last time I did this was on my 55 coupe 25 years ago and there was no problem. Getting back to the Champ, Up in the attic of my shop I had a long box from Avanti parts and it had window channel in it so I used it and had no problems bending it. That box from Avanti parts was in the attic for over 30 years. , Ed

Comment

I did this on my pickup last summer using new channel from a swap meet vendor. I had trouble with the first piece, but the second one bent like a charm.
          Cut the channel a little long to allow for adjusting the location of the bend.The bead must not be crimped where it has been cut. The bead has to be able to slide out while the channel is being bent. I was shown, years ago, to cut the backing across a few places at the bend area. Hold the channel at the spot you want the bend and, with the other hand begin the bend. Use your thumb to push against the bead as you slide your hand in the direction of the bend. The stainless bead must slide toward the end as the bend develops. Go slow, bending a little at each pass, and keep pushing toward the end with your thumb. After the piece is done, cut it to the finished length.
          I think there are some YouTube videos covering this.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

It may help if you have the glass out of the door, and bend the channel over the glass, instead of first pushing it in to the door.
            And, as Howard indicated, the bead has to be able to slide on the channel. If the ends have been crimped, that can't happen.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks all !! It was as most have stated. The beading seemed impossible to make slip on all four corners. But problem solved.. I started to use channeling w/o bead anyway. And now my car has one door glass and etc complete on left side, w/o beading. Maybe finish right side Monday (holiday). Will post progress pictures soon.

Comment

I originally tried channel from SI. It did not have the stainless bead. After attempting to install one I found it of such poor quality that I threw it all away, truck was supposed to have beading anyway. I went to a local auto trim supplier and got two 10 ft. Lengths of flexible channel with the beading. The 10 ft. Length was slightly long but they bent easily and fit in the door without having to cut them off.

Roger List
                Roger W. List
                Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

As mentioned above, the beading can't be crimped on the end. It needs to be cut off square with a cut off tool, so that the rod inside the bead can slide as you bend the channel. I have seen some people make up a 1/4" masonite buck with the same curve as the glass, to use as a form for the channel. Good luck with the next one. I believe that Steele Rubber has some how-to videos on their site.

Comment

Working...
                  X