Need Engine Decoded 51 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Need Engine Decoded 51 Champion

Need an engine numbers guru to tell me if this is a 51 engine. The block has evidently not original as it has unusual stamping on the Serial number Pad (J, Partial O and backwards L). 2nd Pic is Block, 3rd is Head and 4th is casting above the distributor.
    I've read that all parts are interchangeable on the 170 flathead regardless of build year.
    The proper Marine Corps Green paint arrived yesterday, so I can start reassembly, Yay!!!

at least the cylinder head has a casting date code of 1/22/51.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Does the "E" designate 1951?? If so, the fourth pic would indicate the block was cast on March 13, 1951.

Comment

The Vehicle Identification Number is G899544 I don't think that would give a build date on the car. From threads I've read, If the serial number isn't stamped on the pad, the block or engine is a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by studegolfer View Post
          The Vehicle Identification Number is G899544 I don't think that would give a build date on the car. From threads I've read, If the serial number isn't stamped on the pad, the block or engine is a replacement.
          That is a Vernon (LA) assembled 1951 Champion that was built about mid-way through the model year.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Does the "E" designate 1951?? If so, the fourth pic would indicate the block was cast on March 13, 1951.
            Yes, the "E" indicates 51. I did not see the fourth picture. For some reason, this forum only shows 3 thumbnails on my android phone
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Oh No, I found another number stamped on the block just below the horizonal boss, this number doesn't jive with the serial number or block casting. What is it??
              I'm trying to find info on when and if the engine was replaced before all the numbers are hidden by accessories. Jerry

Comment

Oh No, I found another number stamped on the block just below the horizonal boss, this number doesn't jive with the serial number or block casting. What is it??
                I'm trying to find info on when and if the engine was replaced before all the numbers are hidden by accessories. Jerry
                That is a 1951 Champion engine number. Does it agree with the number shown on your production order?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I don't have a production order, only a title. Where would I find a production order??

Comment

I don't have a production order, only a title. Where would I find a production order??
                    You can purchase it through the Studebaker National Museum. It will give much information, such as the original engine number, how equipped, usually where shipped to.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks Gary!!! I ordered the Production Order. 4 to 6 weeks for delivery, it will be a cool item to keep a copy in the glove box. Of course my year was the most expensive. HaHa I've really learned a lot in 6 weeks, I'm really happy that I talked to Bob Palma when I saw this car, he steered me to the SDC!!!

Comment

Your comment in the initial post about all 170ci parts being interchangeable regardless of year is not true! Some are, some aren't.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                        X