Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Trust only those statistics you've made up yourself (or those in the Studebaker Shop Manual)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Trust only those statistics you've made up yourself (or those in the Studebaker Shop Manual)

Winston Churchill hated people who tried to win arguments with statistics. He famously said, “I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself”

In a discussion on the Commander 6-cylinder engine, I didn't trust my memory, so I quickly went to an online reference I've often used in the past.
    {linkhttp://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/stud50.html[.link]

Reading through it, there are dozens of mistakes on Studebaker engine specs. The torque output specs for the 1950-'51 Commander/Land Cruiser 6-cyl was glaringly incorrect, 140 @ 2000, instead of the correct 205 @ 1200.

Similar mistake in the 259" horsepower being maxed at 3,000 RPM and the R3 making max horse power at 4,500 RPM.

No way to know where the owner of the site got that gibberish, but to an engine guy, we live and die by correct numbers to the ten-thousandths of an inch. Go to the Shop Manual for the real data.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Jack is 100% correct, the shop manuals have all of the information needed to maintain Studebaker engines. I've gone with that policy since I started working on cars back in the early 60's. I've seen incorrect specs in aftermarket manuals and certainly on the internet. Bud

Comment

If it's in the internet, it's 100% correct. It will only take correct information..!! ................................................................................ ...................................

Mike

Comment

59.3% of all statistics are made up.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Decades ago, when I determined, if I wanted to drive Studebakers for a long, long time, I had better learn to turn a wrench; so bought a basic set of tools and a Studebaker Shop Manual for my '60 convertible.
          When I bought the car it had been sitting in the first owner's car port for twelve years.
          With that book and those tools I managed to get it to the point where I could drive it to an inspection station, and depend on it for quite some time. It became my daily driver.

The first major repair became necessary when it simply stopped running down the highway at 60mph. Of course, the fiber timing gear had stripped; I don't think I had ever serviced the oil pressure relief valve. Let this be a lesson.
          I got everything exposed and was all set to pull the stripped gear, implicitly trusting the shop manual.
          Every bit of common sense in my body told me that center bolt in the camshaft had to come out before the gear. But the book didn't tell me that.
          I looked and pondered; read and re-read; pondered and looked and read again.

Finally decided I should trust Studebaker and the technicians who wrote the book.

In short order the gear was in my hand, still bolted firmly to the nose of the camshaft; with the camshaft still in the block.

Let this be a lesson to me.
          Last edited by rockne10; 05-23-2020, 10:22 AM.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
          X