Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

39 Champion tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nvonada
    replied
    4-lug wheels mean nothing modern will fit. Don't worry about it, a pre-war Champion does not need a lot of tire. By the way in case you did not know if the wheel studs are stamped "L" they are left-hand thread. Unless the studs have been replaced all the driver's side studs should be turn RIGHT to take off. Have you tried putting air in? It might leak down quickly but you might be able to get the car yard-drivable before you spring for tires.

The Champion is really a great pre-war car to own. Engine and driveline parts tend to be pretty easy to find and the car runs and drives very well. If you have not driven a car of this vintage before there will be a learning curve. The tranny only has a synchronizer between 2nd and 3rd (no downshifting into 1st) and the overdrive (if you have one) has some rules. Acceleration, brakes and steering will not be ANYTHING close to modern car but very good for the time. Just be careful. Best purchase you can make is to get the parts books and service manuals. All are available as reprints from our vendors.

I keep a web site of all the work I do on my 41. There are not many corners of the car that I have not been into. https://stude.vonadatech.com

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• RFBucks
    replied
    If I were to get new wheels what would the bolt pattern be? Everything on the stude is original

Leave a comment:

• nvonada
    replied
    I am running the Coker radials and really like them. My car does not have overdrive so I don't run more than 50 mph very often but no sign of problems with my wheels. My older (1980s vintage) bias-plys would squeal going around corners and lost all traction on a wet road. The radials steer the same and have great traction and ride.
    Nathan

Leave a comment:

• ChampionRuss
    replied
    Originally posted by RFBucks View Post
    I have recently inherited a 1939 Champion and was wondering if anyone knew the tire size that will fit the rims. I’m thinking of ordering radial tires from Coker if I can only find the size I need. It is currently sitting on 4 flats. Thank you!
    550-16 bias tires.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    The original wheel should be 16x4.00
    Check their condition and make certain they are round before spending on tires.
    Switching to radials, you might want to consider a new set of wheels to go with them.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    The original wheel should be 16x4.00

Leave a comment:

• RFBucks
    started a topic Wheels: 39 Champion tire size

39 Champion tire size

I have recently inherited a 1939 Champion and was wondering if anyone knew the tire size that will fit the rims. I’m thinking of ordering radial tires from Coker if I can only find the size I need. It is currently sitting on 4 flats. Thank you!
Working...
X