Gt hood paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Gt hood paint

Question which has been asked before and I even set aside a TW issue that showed the paint scheme for the grille area of the hood as well as the hood locking/lower air dam. I need to know what is to be painted BLACK on my '64 GT. Car will be Astra White. Pics please! Thank you!!!!!!!!
    Rob in PA.

These are some photos that I found from the original GT, way-back-when...

Probably some more - will look...

Comment

Couple more, but kind of hard to get any detail...

Comment

The part that is not visible in your Pics is the part many people miss, behind the Grill on the hood at the bottom, they were NOT Body Color, just Flat Black to make it "go away"!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Avanti Red 63V1011g.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	1836752Click image for larger version  Name:	63GTwhite_Red.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.7 KB ID:	1836753 It REALLY shows up badly on light colored Hawks.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-19-2020, 03:58 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I cannot speak for the 64's but my 62 GT with 60,000 original miles, the section where the grille fit down over the 57-61 hood was not body color but painted black. It was cheaper to paint the section black to trompe l' oeil than to redesign the hood to accommodate the larger 62 GT grille. After I had the car painted and saw the white where the black had been, I took the car back, with an outline as to what was to be painted black

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
            /Cut/the section where the grille fit down over the 57-61 hood was not body color but painted black. It was cheaper to paint the section black to trompe l' oeil than to redesign the hood to accommodate the larger 62 GT grille. /Cut/ Bob Miles
            Huh ??? Hey Bob can you do that in English please?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Trompe l'oeil translated loosely from French is to fool the eye. A poor artist had a cheap studio that the landlord was going to not renew his lease. The artist thought and what he did was with his paint and brushes paint several " cracks" in the walls so no one would rent.

The black paint was so that the eye was not aware the same old hood from 57 was being used with a new grille shell. Your eyes are not drawn to that fact unless you keep the hood body color.

Bob Miles

Comment

I'm looking for a pic of how the black was cut in at the bottom of the hood behind the grille shell. Thanks
                Rob in PA.

Comment

UPDATE: I stayed up late and found the TW issue I had set aside. On page 42 of the March 2019 (1st Vendor issue) is a pic by Dennis Jollicoeur of the hood and paint scheme! Thank you to all who responded.
                  Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                  X