Adding power windows to GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Adding power windows to GT Hawk

Has anybody ever added "after market" power window kits to a GT Hawk, using Nu Relic window crank switches? I can hear the purists now!
    Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

Installed them in my 53....working as expected

I also used contact buttons for the power connections eliminating the need for a loom from the a-pillar to the door....
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
      I can hear the purists now!
      Peter, don't worry about the "purists"! It's YOUR car, not theirs.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I installed NuRelics in a 56J once, and liked the results. For a extra $, they now have door control switches that appear more similar to the original (56J). They move up and down a bit slower than Stude OEM electric windows, and there's no circuit cut off at the top. So you must watch the window going up, and time your finger's release of the button, lest it continue upward and likely pop the small top piece Stude installed on the forward corner of the window frame. The master control switch on the driver's door is especially handy for operating the passenger window while driving down the road.

The kit fit perfectly, as if it were made for the car. NuRelics did their homework well.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          I installed NuRelics in a 56J once, and liked the results. For a extra $, they now have door control switches that appear more similar to the original (56J). They move up and down a bit slower than Stude OEM electric windows, and there's no circuit cut off at the top. So you must watch the window going up, and time your finger's release of the button, lest it continue upward and likely pop the small top piece Stude installed on the forward corner of the window frame. The master control switch on the driver's door is especially handy for operating the passenger window while driving down the road.

The kit fit perfectly, as if it were made for the car. NuRelics did their homework well.
          Put NuRelics on my 74 Avanti, they work well and stop at the top. This may be due to the resistance of Avanti setup at the top. Joe's comments on the 56J I would take to the bank.

The problem with Studebaker C/K/Hawk and Avanti doors are they are short compared to the glass height so there is not enough room from bottom to top to use a conventional after-market unit. Several of us have adapted more modern car units to the Studebakers but it's just not worth the trouble when the NuRelics are so good. Costs more but by the time you find/modify existing units it's just not my cup of tea anymore.

Bob

Comment

JOE HALL - Did you put them in all 4 windows...or just the front 2?

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
              Does anyone ever open the rear windows on a "K"?

Comment

bensherb - Mine is a Sky Hawk...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                  No, just the front windows. Long ago, I raised the rear windows to align as perfectly as possible with the front, then installed a tiny set-screw to lock them in place, and sealed all around them with black RTV. The heater and AC works much better that way, as the rear quarter windows (in K body Studes) is a major air leak, even when everything is brand new, especially 61 and earlier; the rear curve is a natural scoop to bring air into the crew compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

Does anyone ever open the rear windows on a "K"?
                    Yes, otherwise most people now do not appreciate a hardtop and its "clean" appearance.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Agree with Gary. If the temps are above 60 degrees, all four windows go down before the car moves. Having the heat on is optional.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

JOE HALL - Did you use the three screws, which hold the window regulator, to adjust the rear windows? If so, couldn't the holes be elongated/enlarged, to allow tighter adjustment of the rear to front window?

Comment

Has anyone tried installing earlier Hawk electric window assemblies (regulator, motor, etc.) in a GT Hawk?
                          I have a pair of '57 Golden Hawk doors with power windows and I plan to install the power window stuff in either my '62 GT Hawk or my '53 Commander Starliner.
                          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                          '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                            Has anyone tried installing earlier Hawk electric window assemblies (regulator, motor, etc.) in a GT Hawk?
                            I have a pair of '57 Golden Hawk doors with power windows and I plan to install the power window stuff in either my '62 GT Hawk or my '53 Commander Starliner.
                            I can't imagine there would be any issues there. I believe the doors are the same back to 1956..?

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                              One thing is that the '57 and '62 are 12 volt and the '53 is 6 volt. IIRC, my 1957 Golden Hawk was the only Studebaker, out of more than 50, that I had with power windows.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X