Engine Oil showering engine through filler tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine Oil showering engine through filler tube

I have a rebuilt 259 installed in a 60 lark (original engine). The changes made are 1) Road draft tube removed & PCV installed. Carter AFB 4 Bbl carb. When the engine warms up (runs great, lots of power and smooth) and I get to highway oil is ejected out of the filler cap all over the engine including underside of hood> Every part of the engine bay is covered with oil. I have replaced the pcv, checked for leaks out of canister filter, oil lines and valve cover gaskets. There is a strong vacuum. What am I missing? What can cause this issue. Please help, lost in oil shower.

Could the PCV valve be installed backwards? The pressure in the crankcase would have to come out the filler tube.

Comment

Thank you, but no checked it several times

Comment

It is a crankcase ventilation problem. I would re-install the road draft tube for first item in the troubleshooting process.

Comment

Was trying to avoid that, you maybe right. Easier said than done, but logical.
          any other thoughts?
          Last edited by lube_sales1; 05-17-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

lube_sales1, where have you got the hose connected on the "sucking" end ? Back of carb or spacer ? This sure sounds strange if the valve is in the right direction and there is a strong vacuum... good luck.

Comment

Base\back of the carb< yes its a head scratcher and I really want to drive this completed winter project

Comment

I know you said you checked it, but it sure sounds like the PCV is installed backwards, or maybe way too small. Where did you get the PCV, and how did you plumb it into the valley cover? Got any pix?

Oops, I just noticed the word, "rebuilt 259" in your OP. How many miles on the rebuild? Did you install the PCV as part of the rebuild? What is the rear end ratio, and what road speeds are you running?

Comment

Edelbrock recommends using the Front Center Vacuum port for the PCV on their Carbs. but if you are sure this is a Carter AFB not an AFB Clone, there usually is none in front.

Are the Oil Caps properly VENTED? You need a fully Vented Cap, or caps for fresh Air to enter.
                  I am assuming you have the correct Lifter Cover with the OIL Baffle inside, if it is an unmodified and original for the prior Draft Tube it should be fine.

Maybe you need to see how Large the Bleed Hole (Bi-pass) is in this random PCV Valve you bought.

On a New Engine you should not have to do a Compression or Leak down Test, but it might be time to do that, because there COULD be serious Blow-by past the Rings, Loose Valve Guides or poorly adjusted Valves.

UPDATE: just thought of a VERY likely mistake, you should have a upside-down Spin-on Oil Filter on a '60, but it sounds like you have a Canister Type Fram F4 with C4 Element, which is an OK older replacement.

BUT, if there is NO .040-.045 Restrictor Hole in a Brass Inlet Fitting, there will be too much flow hurting Oil Pressure and splashing a LOT of Oil in the Filler Pipe!

Here is the Proper PCV Hose Adapter from the Lifter Cover to the PCV Valve & Carb.:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01426.JPG Views:	1 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	1727800
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 05-17-2020, 10:37 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There likely is something wrong with the PCV installation, we might need to see a couple photos of it. There might be a couple other things to check also. See if a baffle is installed in the fill tube. It will be about 3 or 4 inches down. Also, if there is an oil filter on the engine, be certain it has the .046" restricter fitting in the cyinder head at the left front.

Comment

WOW Thanks very much. I have a lot to look at and verify. it is a real Carter AFB, Aprox 200 miles on rebuild, average highway speeds of 65 to 75 mph> The 1st PCV was an original Carter part< the new one is a Fram type (Plastic) The filler tube is original to the car, the filter is partial flow canister type. There are no vent caps on valve covers like my Hawk only on front oil filler tube, Cleaned and dirt free. I will start checking all the ideas this forum has submitted> I did not rebuild the engine, it was done by a Stude expert here in Edmonton how built 2 other engines for me , both 289's I will try out the new pcv again, could have made a mistake. Thanks to all will get back to you

Comment

IIRC.. There was a 'half' disc installed in the oil fill tube to prevent 'splash' of oil going up the tube.
                        Don't remember the exact details, but maybe there was a service bulletin on it.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If the engine has a partial flow oil filter there is a good possibility that pressure from the oil pan is blowing the oil returning from the filter out of the breather cap. When Studebaker went to PCV systems, they also started using valve covers with breather caps and stopped using the stand pipe with a breather cap on the center of the valley. I've used later valve covers on earlier engines with partial flow oil filters that had oil blowing out of the breather. That modification stopped the oil from blowing out of the stand pipe and all over the engine. Also be sure that the restrictor fitting is installed on the inlet side of the oil filter as too much oil flowing through the filter will not only reduce engine oil pressure, it also reduces the amount of oil flowing down the stand pipe. Bud

Comment

OK Thank you , I will isolate the oil filter and see if that stops the issue, with all the help here, Thanks again will try these suggestions this week. Today is Grandsons day.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              IIRC.. There was a 'half' disc installed in the oil fill tube to prevent 'splash' of oil going up the tube.
                              Don't remember the exact details, but maybe there was a service bulletin on it.
                              The earlier 1955 to 1960 Cast Iron Oil Filler Pipes have a built-in kind of "Baffle" and cause way less Oil spray than those straight Aluminum '61 to early 1962 Type.

Usually it's just a fine small spray on the Firewall or Air Cleaner, but the OP's Car (original Poster) has a SERIOUS pouring of Oil !
                              However I still prefer the '63-'64 Type Valve Covers with 2 Oil Caps.

Originally posted by lube_sales1 View Post
                              OK Thank you , I will isolate the oil filter and see if that stops the issue, with all the help here, Thanks again will try these suggestions this week. Today is Grandsons day.
                              OR, you could just check the Outboard (away from center) Fitting at the Filter on the Line coming from the Pressure source (Left Cyl. Head) for a Very Small hole in it.

You know, unless one has been added, '60 Larks have NO Oil Pressure Gauge!
                              You REALLY need to know what kind of pressure you are running on a New Engine to prevent serious damage. There COULD be a problem with the Oil Pressure Regulator Valve.
                              A Temporary gauge at the rear of Right Cyl. Head will do, until you can put one under the Dash.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-18-2020, 05:20 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X