Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Wire I.D. on new harness 1955 V8 truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wire I.D. on new harness 1955 V8 truck

Received new harness from Studebakers West. They do not I.D. their wires. Using the wiring diagram I have figured out almost all the terminals. Electrical not being my strong suit I have a couple left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5701.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.7 KB ID:	1836194
    The black wire coming from the main bundle with no tag. I have the yellow tag as gas gauge, the green tag as Ign. switch (which terminal on the switch does it go to? Non-original switch, but still have push-button start on dash.). Where does the terminal go that I don't have a tag on yet?
    BTW: Truck has been converted to 12volt, neg. ground.
    Last edited by kurtruk; 05-17-2020, 08:11 AM. Reason: Added details
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

The Red Wire with the Green Tag on the 12 Ga.? wire, COULD be FROM the Starter Solenoid Batt. Cable Post if you have traced it to there, it would go to the Ammeter.

Don't all the Colors and Wire gauge match up to the Wiring Diagram?

There are too many Mods on this Truck to make any year a Match though.
    There are pretty major differences between a '56 12 Volt Volt Truck and a '55 6 Volt, like Starter circuit and Gauges.

What YEAR Harness did you order?

If the Yellow tagged wire goes to the Gas Gauge, why would it have have a second wire grouped to it and no Lug on the end?

This 2R ('49-''53 Truck was the closest 6 Volt I could find, one diff. other than V8 instead of 6 Cyl. would be the "Start" Ign. Switch vs Non I guess, but you took that out, so it might be similar.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...ges/r-wire.jpg
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-17-2020, 12:22 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I ordered for #6840330 for 1955 V8 truck, the only one the offer. I am putting all new '56 gauges in it($$$). Here are diagrams for '54 truck and '56 truck. could not find one for '55.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1954 Truck Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1836254

Click image for larger version

Name:	1956 truck wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1836255
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Comment

Rich,
        The heavy red wire I have going from the starter switch to the ammeter.

The gas gauge wire does have a lug on it, it is turned vertical to the camera making it hard to see.
        Last edited by kurtruk; 05-17-2020, 01:31 PM.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Comment

My 54 3R6 has pretty much the same wiring harness than does the 55 truck, but the 56 wiring harness is completely different -- and not just because of the voltage change. I am not near my truck right now (so this is from memory), but that wire with three connectors looks familiar. My recollection is that the end with no label goes to the gas gauge, and the one with the yellow tag goes to the ammeter. I believe the one with the green tag goes for something that my truck doesn't have, like an ignition switch with integrated start, or the two-speed axle on big trucks. I just covered it with a piece of shrink wrap to prevent it from causing a short. Does your truck have automatic trans? Six-volt stick-shift trucks still had the starter switch under the clutch -- so no wire needed for a starter switch. The terminals on the OEM ignition switches were marked gauge, ammeter, and coil. Not sure how the replacement ones are marked. I should be able to take a look at my truck later this week, but not sure how helpful I can be, given your change to negative ground and a dash-mounted starter switch.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Looking at the posted schematics, and trying to follow the circuits as shown, it looks like the physical layout is to energize the circuit by using the short lead to the ACC post on the ignition switch. This means that the gas gauge will register how much fuel is in the tank whether the ignition switch is either in "run" or "Accessory," position. That provides what is referred to as a "switched" circuit so that it protects that particular line of power from draining the battery when the vehicle is not operating. Following the schematic, the power lead is then attached to the bottom lug (terminal) of the gas gauge, and the longer wire goes to the overdrive relay. So, I'm thinking that the bottom lug on the gas gauge serves as both...a power source for the gas gauge, and a mere "terminal point" for the relay circuit to keep the ACC lug on the ignition switch from being overcrowded with connection points. The top lug on the gas gauge has only one wire attachment wire and that one goes to the gas tank sending unit which is a float controlled rheostat that completes that circuit by resistance measured by the gauge.

That's how I read the schematic. Reading it and understand it are two different things. However, I think the circuits will function the same regardless of polarity or voltage. But, I believe you will have to either have voltage/amp-correct fuse protection and reducers, or voltage-correct gauges, regardless. My '55 truck is a six, so there may be a bit of variation in wire lengths, but the circuits should pretty much be the same. Years ago, I purchased a harness for my '48(car) from the same vendor and I believe the labeling was pretty much following the schematic along with color-coding. This one don't seem to follow my recollection or expectations. I reserve the right to be wrong with that impression.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Skip,
              My truck is a E12 V8 3speed manual. Previous owners had converted it to 12v. It is a running, operable vehicle. The ammeter and gas gauge don't work. I have purchased all new gauges and gas tank sending unit for '56 trucks (12v). Want to install those and new wiring.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Comment

I believe the black wires in your first photo are for the instrument lights. Circuit 'E' in wiring diagrams.

Comment

Thanks, Dwain. I'll look at that.

Does a '55 E-series V8 wiring diagram exist? (Besides at the SNM archives)
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Comment

Studebaker did not print a '55 E-series shop manual. Here below is what they suggested.

Comment

Looked at my truck, which is still 6v, positive ground. The big (10 gauge?), unlabeled wire goes to the input side of the ammeter. The gas gauge wire is correctly labeled. And as I said above, the one with the green label attaches to nothing.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X