1953 Commander Coupe front turn signals harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1953 Commander Coupe front turn signals harness

1953 Commander Coupe with 6 volt and positive ground. Main wiring harness installed and all appears to be good so far. Now installing the front turn signals harness just received from SI. The one end has 2 pigtails- white with green tracers and white with brown tracers. Per the wiring diagram in the shop manual, they attach to terminals on the junction block. No problem there. My problem is with the other 4 pigtails. One is solid green and one is solid brown. I suspect they attach to the two pilot lamps/light bulbs on the dash. But I don't know for sure. The remaining 2 pigtails really have me stumped. Each has 2 wires [one a solid brown wire joined to a second wire white with green tracers; and the other one a solid green wire joined to a second wire white with brown tracers]. Each of those 2 combinations carry a bullet connector. Any help would be really appreciated.
    Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Will the diagram help? Right tell-tale marker light wire is green, but connects with the white w/brown tracer from the junction block, left tell-tale marker light is brown, and connects to the white w/green tracer from the junction block; both markers fed with black wire from the flasher.Click image for larger version  Name:	TSignal harness.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	1836016
    Last edited by rockne10; 05-16-2020, 12:07 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turnsignal harness diagram.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1836018
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thank you for the 2 diagrams. I have been working from the 1st one, but I don't understand the "double " pigtails. As for the 2nd diagram, I am trying to figure it out. Do I remove the steering wheel to access the turn signal switch or is there something else I should be doing? I hate bothering people with what may seem like dumb questions, but a lot of you have forgotten more than I'll ever know. So again, any and all information and guidance is very much appreciated.

Comment

The second diagram is if you need to actually make the soldered connection to the TS switch. If your switch with wires is intact, that one's moot.
          If your switch was factory installed, and you need to access those terminals, yes; you will need to pull the steering wheel. But, if the switch is good and those wires from the switch are still good, they exit the steering column under the dash and have plug in connectors. Before pulling the steering wheel, I would get the rest of it all together, and not bother the switch unless it does not work.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

The Spliced together pairs Wht. W/Brn. Tracer connect to Solid Grn. to tie the LEFT Dash indicator wire to the LEFT Front Turn Signal, they then go into their respective T/Sig. Sw. Wire.

The Spliced together pairs Wht. W/Grn. Tracer connect to Solid Brn. to tie the RIGHT Dash indicator wire to the RIGHT Front Turn Signal, they then go into their respective T/Sig. Sw. Wire.

So much for using common Sense! The above is how I think it should be, BUT this first diagram shows the wires REVERSED from that, and no way will it work! UPDATE: Breaking News at 10:21, it looks like it does work per the Diagram!

I am with you, it's really hard to make ANY sense out of that second one which IS important because it shows which wires to the Switch go elsewhere.

T/S Sw. Term #3 gets Wire #10 Black to Flasher.
            T/S Sw. Term #1 gets Wire #12 Red/Wht. to Stop Light Switch.

At that point I would simply experiment until the Left Three flash with the switch on Left and vice versa.
            If you get the Flashing Power from the flasher on the correct Term. and the Stop Light Switch input correct, the rest SHOULD be able to be figured out by studying the Diagram and or with testing.

GOOD LUCK!
            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-16-2020, 09:36 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you both for your advice. I am certain that the switch works. It was working when I started, and I haven't messed up in that department. I will connect the flaser and the pigtails when I get back to my project tomorrow and keep you posted. I do so much appreciate your help.

Comment

The turn signal indicators work on the 'crossfeed' method. Remember when side marker lights first appeared on cars, and how they blinked opposite the front signal? The indicator light sockets are insulated. Notice in the diagram the indicators have black wires one one terminal and green or brown on the other. When the turn signal flashes on one side, the indicator seeks a ground through the bulb filament on the opposite side.
                "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

OK, NOW I get it. Good news Dwain, now I can go to bed not thinking that somebody in the Studebaker Electrical Engineering Dept. had a really BAD hangover that Monday Morning!

I'll just stick to my 12 Volt Cars, they make MUCH more sense, NO Three prong Flasher Units!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well, I am not sure what I did wrong, but I managed to fry part of my main harness. While working on the turn signals the wires going to the ammeter started to smoke. Before I could disconnect the battery one of the wires had melted through. I'm still saving my nickels for a new rear harness so I will see what I can salvage with the main harness and then connect the two. A setback yes, but could easily have been much worse; like a fire. I put it into the same category as having a car that won't start as opposed to driving down the road and not being able to stop. Better no go than no whoa. I think of it as the Zen of Studebaker ownership.

Comment

Working...
                    X