Fiberglass ideas for an Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass ideas for an Avanti

Rolled the Avanti out of the building today.

I need to replace the shackle box holes with a smooth contour, following the curves from the rest of the body.

The contour can be matched, but if glassed solid to the rest of the body, the frame can not be seperated from it, for it extends into the concave portion of the curve.

The Corvette makes this a seperate piece on their cars, just for that reason. A body repaiman helped a friend smooth the valence piece into the rest of the body, only to have to cut it out years later to do a body off restoration. Typically it follows a horizontal line hidden under the bumper and goes vertical at the exhaust tips, providing minimum line seperation.

C2 Corvette

C3 Corvette

The newer cars don't bother trying to blend, and just make an obvious piece for it.

1.I can shorten the frame to clear, but this will require a good bit of work, and will require new rear bumper brackets. But would rather have the original contours.

2. I can make a seperate valence piece like the Corvettes, cutting horizontal under the bumper. The vertical would have to be full length, since running sidepipes.

3.If I made a differentiated piece, it could be a stainless wire mesh screen enclosed with a small diameter tubing, perhaps 3/8". This could detract from the original lines of the car. Perhaps instead of making a wide piece, two small seperate pieces right where the two openings are.

Anyone have some good suggestions?
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Are you going to use the vertical bumper extensions? If not the cutouts look like a great spot for a large rectangular exhaust tip like Lexus Ls400.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

How about a diffuser? Seems I've looked at some for my '66.

Something on this order. The frame tips could be integrated into one of the blades. I've also seen two diffuser sections - maybe GT40?

I found the GT40 pieces. These are from Stillen.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

quote:Are you going to use the vertical bumper extensions?
        Probably not going to use the vertical bumper pieces. The vertical lines make the car look narrow.

Your exhaust idea is good, but have already gone with side pipes. If you look underneath the rocker panel, you can see the side pipe exiting in the rear wheel well. We may paint the chambered mufflers a semi-flat black to hide what little is exposed.

sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

This may be a dumb idea since I know nothing about this model car, but if cutting the frame and making it shorter is a option, maybe cut the frame, leave it the same length and make it a bolt on piece so it can be removed when needed and the body can the be removed. I don't know what bolts to this part of the frame but, if one option is it shorten it maybe this would work. Just a thought.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
          Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by grobb284

ALL Avantis should sit like this! [] [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky
              if cutting the frame and making it shorter is a option,
              Ken, if you remember back, this is the one with the home made tubular stainless frame, not a modified Lark frame. Not that further modification might not be an option, but I doubt it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

I like the diffuser idea myself. There must be hundreds to choose from. Maybe look in some import "Tuner" magazines.

Comment

I would just fill in the space flush with fiberglass. I can't see much chance that the body would have to come off the frame in the near future. If removing the body does become necessary, either out a clearance hole/slot in the body or cut the frame at that time.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I agree with Gary... additionally, since you're using a custom frame, does it *need* to extend back that far? Also, even if you glassed that in flush, if you had to remove the body, do you actually need to lift it straight off vertically, or could you lift a fraction of the inch, roll the chassis forward, then finish lifting the body off?

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                      ALL Avantis should sit like this!
                      If they did, the X-member would be on the ground!

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Just tossing out some imagineering ideas.....
                        Here's a few pic's of Ted Stachowiac's Avanti (II) pro mod from a few years (and a few digital camera's) ago....
                        Jeff[8D]
                        http://rides.webshots.com/album/551144817nseZll?start=0

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I guess that Jeff took the pictures because the Avanti is yellow <G>.
                          I do like the smooth look of the rear.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That's be a good trick, as I took those pic's a couple three years before I bought the yellow truck
                            But, it is a good color on an Avanti[]
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I guess that Jeff took the pictures because the Avanti is yellow <G>.
                            I do like the smooth look of the rear.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jim and FSTST56:

Confused by your diffuser pics.
                              The last time I came home late, to correct the situation, I had to purchase a diffuser like this:

Or perhaps this is a defuser, my mistake.

Jim, I use to purchase Road & Track just to see the GT40s and Chapparals.

Now here is a diffuser(Chapparal):

I'm afraid that the 2007 Ford GT diffuser would date the car in a few years, just like a spoiler or NACA duct.

Secretly though, I've wanted to put a NACA duct in the assymetrical hood riser, near the front of the car.

Porsche 917 NACA duct

Having said that, don't want to be confused with Miata racers, where I now see them in their headlight covers. (Surely I've offended someone by now)

Comment

Working...
                              X