Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1963 GT Hawk Temperature Guage Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bud View Post
    I agree with Rich. The orange wire is visible as it comes out of the wire harness along with the pink wire going to the ignition coil and the red wire for the overdrive which may or may not be connected to anything if the car doesn't have overdrive. Like Rich says, use an inspection mirror if you can't see the orange wire. Trust me it is down below the throttle linkage, you'll find it if you look hard enough. Bud
    I see the orange wire, but it's just hanging loose, not connected to the unit. It has a push-on type female connector. What I don't understand is there's no "Male" to "push-on" to at the unit, at least from my somewhat obscured viewpoint of the unit.

Comment

That is the correct Wire Terminal for a Temp. Sending Unit Wire.

The Back of the Sending unit should have a Brass Terminal that looks like a Nail head, the wire slides onto it from the side.

IF on the other hand the harness is for a Newer Car than the sender, the older senders and some aftermarket ones have a Stud and Nut so that the wire end will never connect.
      You either have to change to Wire Terminal or the Sending Unit.

If the Sender Terminal is broken OFF, it obviously will have to be replaced.

It DOES make me wonder though, since you keep complaining about the "So Close" clearance to the Firewall, if the ENGINE is sitting properly in it's mounting Holes with Good Rubber Insulators (Engine Mounts) to properly position the Engine and Transmission?
      Last edited by StudeRich; 05-19-2020, 11:33 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        That is the correct Wire Terminal for a Temp. Sending Unit Wire.

The Back of the Sending unit should have a Brass Terminal that looks like a Nail head, the wire slides onto it from the side.

IF on the other hand the harness is for a Newer Car than the sender, the older senders and some aftermarket ones have a Stud and Nut so that the wire end will never connect.
        You either have to change to Wire Terminal or the Sending Unit.

If the Sender Terminal is broken OFF, it obviously will have to be replaced.

It DOES make me wonder though, since you keep complaining about the "So Close" clearance to the Firewall, if the ENGINE is sitting properly in it's mounting Holes with Good Rubber Insulators (Engine Mounts) to properly position the Engine and Transmission?
        Thanks for your assistance here. I see the brass terminal that looks like a nail head.
        Last edited by Geohawk63; 05-19-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I am very glad to hear that you finally figured it out. So do you now HAVE a working Temp. Gauge?

Oh, that's right you MAY not have it running yet, per your other Post we never heard how the Power to the Coil thing came out.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-ignition-coil
          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-19-2020, 02:26 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I am very glad to hear that you finally figured it out. So do you now HAVE a working Temp. Gauge?

Oh, that's right you MAY not have it running yet, per your other Post we never heard how the Power to the Coil thing came out.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-ignition-coil
            The coil thing is figured out.

I replaced it with the one that requires an external resistor but it did not fix my problem of conking out, which some thought could have been related to the coil heating up.

I am in the process of removing the heat riser valve etc., AND I have the distributor out (to install electronic ignition), so I can't confirm if the water temperature gauge is working quite yet! I will keep you posted!

I'm sure you're on pins and needles lol!

Comment

Working...
            X