X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 61Lark

Checking the JT roster it lists two other Daytona Hardtops that were probably assembled that day, 15466 and 15630 which were both R1s with powershift. My car is 15654 289 4V, 3 spd OD, HD springs and shocks, climatizer, and radio (which it never got).

I wonder with all the floor shifted Daytonas being built that day if they accidentally grabbed the wrong body or ran out of 4 speeds. What ever the reason who ever patched the hole did such a nice job that I didn't notice it when I replaced the carpet.

Is there a way to get a line order sheet from the museum?

64 Stude you should contact the owner of the JT roster and add your car to it. My copy doesn't list your car.

Nick
    The museum can provide you with a reproduction of the original production order, which normally includes the line number indicating the order in which the cars were actually built.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC

Leave a comment:

• 61Lark
    replied
    Checking the JT roster it lists two other Daytona Hardtops that were probably assembled that day, 15466 and 15630 which were both R1s with powershift. My car is 15654 289 4V, 3 spd OD, HD springs and shocks, climatizer, and radio (which it never got).

I wonder with all the floor shifted Daytonas being built that day if they accidentally grabbed the wrong body or ran out of 4 speeds. What ever the reason who ever patched the hole did such a nice job that I didn't notice it when I replaced the carpet.

Is there a way to get a line order sheet from the museum?

64 Stude you should contact the owner of the JT roster and add your car to it. My copy doesn't list your car.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• 64 Stude
    replied
    I have a 64 Daytona HT however I dont know when it was built and the small tag on the firewall is missing. The big tag is still there and it reads 64V J8 828 and the stainless tag in the door jam sayes 64V 9342. The car apears to be very original and pretty much untouched, it has a R1 engine, 4 speed, finned manual drums, traction bars, rear swaybar, and full instumentation...

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    My Daytona hardtop is 64V-15003 and the line number was 3406. 289-2V and 4-speed, PS, Power disc brakes, bucket seats, tinted windshield, whitewall tires, climatizer, push button radio, full wheel covers, seat belts and (lots of) undercoat.

Oops! It says final assembly date is 10/29, but the date in the upper left corner says 10/30.

Laguna Blue with a Blue Cloth interior.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by R3 challenger

Tom....the serial number of the R4 Daytona was 64V-15405 and the line number was 3896. How's that compare with your car?

George

george krem
    George-
    My 64 Daytona hardtop was built on Oct 30, 1963. Line number 3726. 289/2 bbl, Powershift, TT, buckets, air conditioning.
    Skip

Leave a comment:

• 61Lark
    replied
    I'll have to check my Daytona. I know that the engine date code was October 30th 1963 and I believe that the final build date was the 30th as well. It also had a streamer that has been removed and a hole in the floor where a floor shifter would go that has been welded up, probably at the factory.

How many Daytona hardtops did they build that day?

Nick

Leave a comment:

• R3 challenger
    replied
    Tom....the serial number of the R4 Daytona was 64V-15405 and the line number was 3896. How's that compare with your car?

George

george krem

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    All you have to do Tom to find out, is get the Line Numbers of the two cars! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by R3 challenger

According to the production order, final assembly of the R4 Daytona was on October 30, 1963.

Hmmmm. My Daytona was build on October 30th. While definitely not thee R4, it would be cool if mine was just in front or behind that car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Leave a comment:

• R3 challenger
    replied
    Ok, I'll try to be serious! The article you're thinking of was published in the February, 1964, issue of Car Life magazine. Apparently, Car Life wanted to test a 1964 R4 Daytona hardtop, so they assigned one of their editors to go to South Bend and "help" build it. Reading the text, it's a wonder the car ran...actually, at first it didn't. Someone (the editor?) had installed a conventional coil, which did not work with the transistorized ignition. A photo caption on page 49 states: "Red and chrome R4 engine is dropped into place....." That's the only R4 actually built on the Studebaker assembly line, and therefore it was a production unit and not assembled by Studebaker Engineering or Paxton Products, as were a number of other R3/R4 cars.

We're fortunate that the article made it into print. Given print deadlines, Car Life may have known before printing the February issue that the South Bend plant was closing and that Avanti-powered Studebakers would no longer be made. According to the production order, final assembly of the R4 Daytona was on October 30, 1963. I guess Car Life didn't want to waste all that effort and expense of sending a man to South Bend and driving the car back to Los Angeles.

George

george krem

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    You mean this article?

http://racingstudebakers.com/R4_page_2.htm

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Leave a comment:

• Karl
    replied
    I remember that article. They have some pictures driving it down a dirt road.

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by studegary
    [Is my memory failing? I thought that there was one (R4 Lark type).
    Somewhere in my piles I have a '63 car magazine (Motor Trend/Car Life/whatever) where they sent a writer to South Bend where he built a R-4 Daytona hardtop and drove it back to LA as sort of a long-term test. I don't know why that one doesn't appear in the production stats.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

Leave a comment:

• jlmccuan
    replied
    Forgot to mention. I thought the red would clash with the big orange whirly thing and the bling valve covers. Plus the "stealth" factor. Of course, anybody who knows the R3/4 heads were red, can figure out what's hiding in plain sight.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 64Avanti

I was afraid that someone would take a couple of posts here seriously! And not just mine. The R3 and R4 heads are the same but I would say the production R4 heads were not red since there weren't any "production" R4 engines.

David L
    Is my memory failing? I thought that there was one (R4 Lark type).

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X