No announcement yet.

R3 Heads Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had me puzzled, because I spent several minutes sorting that very thing out.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was afraid that someone would take a couple of posts here seriously! And not just mine. The R3 and R4 heads are the same but I would say the production R4 heads were not red since there weren't any "production" R4 engines.

David L
      David L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 64Avanti

I was afraid that someone would take a couple of posts here seriously! And not just mine. The R3 and R4 heads are the same but I would say the production R4 heads were not red since there weren't any "production" R4 engines.

David L
        Is my memory failing? I thought that there was one (R4 Lark type).

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Forgot to mention. I thought the red would clash with the big orange whirly thing and the bling valve covers. Plus the "stealth" factor. Of course, anybody who knows the R3/4 heads were red, can figure out what's hiding in plain sight.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary
            [Is my memory failing? I thought that there was one (R4 Lark type).
            Somewhere in my piles I have a '63 car magazine (Motor Trend/Car Life/whatever) where they sent a writer to South Bend where he built a R-4 Daytona hardtop and drove it back to LA as sort of a long-term test. I don't know why that one doesn't appear in the production stats.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
            1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I remember that article. They have some pictures driving it down a dirt road.

Comment

You mean this article?

http://racingstudebakers.com/R4_page_2.htm

Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Ok, I'll try to be serious! The article you're thinking of was published in the February, 1964, issue of Car Life magazine. Apparently, Car Life wanted to test a 1964 R4 Daytona hardtop, so they assigned one of their editors to go to South Bend and "help" build it. Reading the text, it's a wonder the car ran...actually, at first it didn't. Someone (the editor?) had installed a conventional coil, which did not work with the transistorized ignition. A photo caption on page 49 states: "Red and chrome R4 engine is dropped into place....." That's the only R4 actually built on the Studebaker assembly line, and therefore it was a production unit and not assembled by Studebaker Engineering or Paxton Products, as were a number of other R3/R4 cars.

We're fortunate that the article made it into print. Given print deadlines, Car Life may have known before printing the February issue that the South Bend plant was closing and that Avanti-powered Studebakers would no longer be made. According to the production order, final assembly of the R4 Daytona was on October 30, 1963. I guess Car Life didn't want to waste all that effort and expense of sending a man to South Bend and driving the car back to Los Angeles.

George

george krem
                  george krem

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R3 challenger

According to the production order, final assembly of the R4 Daytona was on October 30, 1963.

Hmmmm. My Daytona was build on October 30th. While definitely not thee R4, it would be cool if mine was just in front or behind that car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

All you have to do Tom to find out, is get the Line Numbers of the two cars! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Tom....the serial number of the R4 Daytona was 64V-15405 and the line number was 3896. How's that compare with your car?

George

george krem
                        george krem

Comment

I'll have to check my Daytona. I know that the engine date code was October 30th 1963 and I believe that the final build date was the 30th as well. It also had a streamer that has been removed and a hole in the floor where a floor shifter would go that has been welded up, probably at the factory.

How many Daytona hardtops did they build that day?

Nick

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R3 challenger

Tom....the serial number of the R4 Daytona was 64V-15405 and the line number was 3896. How's that compare with your car?

George

george krem
                            George-
                            My 64 Daytona hardtop was built on Oct 30, 1963. Line number 3726. 289/2 bbl, Powershift, TT, buckets, air conditioning.
                            Skip

Skip Lackie

Comment

My Daytona hardtop is 64V-15003 and the line number was 3406. 289-2V and 4-speed, PS, Power disc brakes, bucket seats, tinted windshield, whitewall tires, climatizer, push button radio, full wheel covers, seat belts and (lots of) undercoat.

Oops! It says final assembly date is 10/29, but the date in the upper left corner says 10/30.

Laguna Blue with a Blue Cloth interior.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I have a 64 Daytona HT however I dont know when it was built and the small tag on the firewall is missing. The big tag is still there and it reads 64V J8 828 and the stainless tag in the door jam sayes 64V 9342. The car apears to be very original and pretty much untouched, it has a R1 engine, 4 speed, finned manual drums, traction bars, rear swaybar, and full instumentation...

Comment

Working...
                                X