R3 Heads Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3 Heads Production

Does any one have production stats for R3 heads?

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

An educated guess would be about 110 sets.

Comment

Not to dispute Nels, but probably about 220 individual heads. (This is a TEST; this is only a TEST to determine who on the forum is awake. If this had been a real mathematical emergency, you would have been notified...) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Not to dispute Nels, but probably about 220 individual heads. (This is a TEST; this is only a TEST to determine who on the forum is awake. If this had been a real mathematical emergency, you would have been notified...) BP
        Bob,

Although you did manage to get this one right, I think in the future you should pass these complicated calculations on to our own "Decimal Dude" (aka Gary Hearn)!!

Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Not being decimally oriented, I'm curious as to which is more precise, about or probably about. Maybe Guido can help me here, too.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

I asked both Paxton Products and Studebaker (Bill Dredge) this question by letter back in 1965, and they didn't seem to know (or want to tell) back then. Bill Dredge gave the figure of "several hundred", which sounds high. My Webster's defines "several" as "Being more than two but fewer than many...". Paxton may not have kept accurate records, or they may have been lost. There is still a slim chance records may surface. 110 sets sounds about right to me, although it could be less. I say this because Paxton Products began to produce an occasional "R3" engine with R2 heads before they reached engine number B 100, and the highest consecutive B number is somewhere around 120, with one or two isolated, oddball numbers around 150. But Bob may also be right at 220 individual heads, according to my calculator watch.

George

george krem
            george krem

Comment

Come to think of it maybe there was only 90 sets of R3 heads and about 20 sets of R4 heads.

Comment

Since the R3 heads and the R4 heads were the same did they paint the R4 heads a different color to distinguish one identical part from another?

By the way about is more precise than probably about since probably expresses some unspecified degree of uncertanity.

David L
                David L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by r1lark

I think in the future you should pass these complicated calculations on to our own "Decimal Dude" (aka Gary Hearn)!!
                  Gary doesn't participate in this forum any more. His last post was 10/19. I wrote him and inquired here but he never responded. A couple people have seen him and it seems he's OK, but gave no reason why he quit here

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I was talking to Gary at Reedsville just after he got a phone call that his employer had been bought out, so my guess is he's just got other priorities at the moment.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I read on another forum where he made a post selling some stuff to "downsize in case he had to move", so I feared it was something like that. I realize everyone assigns a different level of importance to the Forum and the Club, and the people here, but I can't believe he just flat left without a word and doesn't answer e-mails. Hopefully things aren't too bad for him.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Production R3 and R4 heads were all painted red. Nels, if you're handling both R3 and R4 heads on the same day, don't get them mixed up, OK?

George

george krem
                        george krem

Comment

I haven't had any R3 or R4 heads in my hands for about 30 years but if I recall correctly the R3 right head was the same as the R4 left head. So yes that is why they were different colors. Anyway I was always able to keep them straight.

David L
                          David L

Comment

What is the difference in the left and right R3 heads?

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
                            Jim
                            Often in error, never in doubt
                            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dave is just pulling your leg.

Comment

Working...
                              X